Time to max out my Macbook Pro. Need advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hamiltonDSi, Jan 14, 2013.

1. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

So I saved money for about 3 or 4 months to max out my Macbook Pro and I kinda need your advice.
    My current configuration is :
    Macbook Pro 13" Late 2011
    i5 2.4 Ghz
    8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
    500GB@5400 RPM
    Intel HD3000 512MB
    I want to put inside this baby 16GB RAM and two 256GB SSDs RAID 0.
    Less storage isn't a problem because I have a 3TB Server and a 750GB WD Elements External HDD to put all my movies and stuff.
    So can you please recommend the best RAM & SSDs ? I don't want the most expensive, I want the ones that are good quality at decent prices.
    And how much will this cost me ? I'm pretty sure that I saved more then enough but just checking with you guys.

2. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

I'd get crucial m4 or samsung 830s for ssd's it would set you around +300-400 on top of the macbook

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

This might be an issue with your 2011 MBP according to OWC:

"2011 MacBook Pro 13" models: Apple does not support the use of 6Gb/s drives in the optical bay. While we have observed a high rate of success using SATA 3.0 6Gb/s drives in Apple 13" bays where 6Gb/s link is present, some systems may not operate properly with this setup. For guaranteed reliability/compatibility, we suggest 6Gb/s drives be used in the main drive bay only, and 3Gb/s hard drives or SSDs be used in the optical bay when a two-drive configuration is desired. We cannot guarantee proper or successful 6Gb/s drive operation in the Apple MacBook Pro 13" optical bay."

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/

4. hamiltonDSi, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Thank you.
    My budget is 608$ (Or 2,000 RON if there is any Romanian here :D RON : Romanian Currency)

----------

Oh, snap ! :mad:
    Well, my dream is ruined...
    Perhaps I will put the original HDD in the SuperDrive Bay and buy one SSD.
    Or I could buy a faster 7200RPM to put in the SuperDrive Bay.
    Can you feel the speed difference between a 5400RPM HDD and a 7200RPM HDD ?

----------

Another question :
    If I buy a 7200RPM HDD and put it in the SuperDrive Bay and a SSD (of course, the SSD will be in the Drive Bay) can I enable with some tweak Fusion Drive ?
    Thank you !

5. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

You'll feel a huge speed increase just with the OSX and applications on the SSD. Your data files, i.e. movies, music, etc. don't need the SSD speed to play anyway. I've got both Samsung 840 and Crucial M4 drives in different machines. Both great drives.

Plenty of threads here to help build a fusion drive if you like. You really don't need a 7200 rpm drive either way IMHO.

6. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

So it's possible, ok. I will search.
    Again, thank you.

7. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

8. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

500GB Samsung 840 SSD (or get the Pro if you can afford it) - I agree about sticking with the 6GB/s interface.

RAM does not matter much who you get it from as long as it is a well known brand...

Where do you like to shop for this stuff? Maybe someone can find the right link at a site you can order from.

R

9. nib95 macrumors newbie

Where are you based? Check HotDeals if you're based in the UK. I saw some killer SSD offers on there the other day.

10. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

I live in Romania.
    I can shop from international sites like amazon and ebay who ship in Romania and the local & online shops in my country.

11. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Your MBP should resemble this one I hope ~ this site has always been decent for helping me source specific info ~

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...4-13-late-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

I am pretty sure a Crucial M4-Samsung 830/840Pro would serve you well for many years..

So, re: RAM ~ I cannot say if available near you easily, but I have used Mushkin (USA made) in my past three MBP's and never had any issues.. Specs well with Crucial (another known good pick) and I have shopped and been happy with NewEgg Stores .. Hope it goes well!!

12. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

13. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I think both SSD's and RAM are getting 'pretty affordable' as a GREAT Upgrade to a good computer that is a couple of years old.. When yours came out, 16GB of RAM may still have been over $1000, and SSD's are likely ~50% less now too.. :eek:

In Canada a very good SSD is well under $1/GB and 16GB of RAM is $70-80.. You cannot believe how your computer will GO after those upgrades. DO IT!!

:cool:

14. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Yep, I will do it.
    When I get home I am going to search Romanian sites and find the best prices.
    I will go with national sites because the products ship in 1 or 2 days.
    Thank you !

15. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

I would use Crucial brand RAM - I have been for around 10 years and NEVER had an issue.

I have used the Crucial M4 SSD so I recommend that or the Samsung 840