Time To Move To An Airport Extreme?

trackbikes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I currently use a Cisco Linksys E2000 to connect my iMacs to the internet. Both are upstairs and both have good signal strength

Directly below the furthest one from the router (about 40 feet) is the TV room where I usually have my ipad.. wireless signal drops off about 6 -8 ft from where i need it.

Will I have a better range with the AEBS?

trackbikes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Depends on a lot of factors, not least of which is the construction of your house. Why don't you just move the router a little closer?
It's quite open plan but with Marble floors... Can't move the router as there are no phone points between all 3 locations.. there is a point in each of the 3 places I need signal but where ever I put the router 1 location will not have signal

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
You may not have success with an AEBS vs the Cisco in the current location. But you could get another device to act as a wifi access point and either run ethernet to it downstairs, or find a location where it can both pick up the Cisco wifi signal and get it to your iPad.

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
Sounds like a big investment for 6 feet of internet..

Personally i wouldnt do it. If your house is that big, im sure you can find some other spot to use your ipad

But of course, it IS possible to have 2 routers in 1 house, with 1 internet connection

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
The easiest option is to do a the Airport + Airport Express if the internet doesn't reach; however, it is a bit overkill.

What about running a longer wire for phone from one of the three points 6 feet away to gain that 6 feet that you need?