Time to play "Name this i7 iMac issue"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ndriver182, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I may be just being paranoid here (I really hope so), but it seems like my late '09 iMac is running warm. I'm running the 27" i7.

I received it from Apple just before Thanksgiving and all was well. I have to admit I didn't take notice of my temps specifically at the time, but under minimal usage you could hardly hear the fans at all. Well, last weekend my hard drive was on the verge of crashing (S.M.A.R.T. failure imminent) and so I took it to the Apple store and it went in for a new HD swap.

I got the call to pick it up after work today and got it home to transfer all my data from a time machine backup. A few hours later I was back in business. The only thing I noticed was that my temps (using iStat) were way up to 55 deg. C for the CPU and the fans were cranking. I turned it off for 15 minutes or so then back on again. The machine was still running between 45-48 deg. C after just a few minutes. The fans weren't going as loud as they were before shutting down the first time, but still not nearly silent like the computer was prior to the HD swap.

I do plan to check things out in the morning again after being off all night long. Like I said, I guess I'm a little paranoid because of how the computer was treated at the store. I noticed when I got the computer home that a couple placed on the aluminum housing were scratched up from when it was worked on and there were even hand print smudges on the UNDERSIDE of the glass panel. This just tells me that the tech(s) were probably being a little careless fixing it so who knows what they may have done on the inside that I don't see.

What sort of temperatures are the rest of you seeing?

2. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Thats Warm but not dangerously so (70 would be more of a problem). I tend to get around 45 after heavy use but I'm running SMC fan control with the speeds cranked up a little. I do see 55 after gaming in boot camp for a while but that's 'cos my GPU is over clocked (and again I'm running SMC fan control). To be honest if 55 is the highest you see then I wouldn't worry.

3. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, my temps this morning are in the mid to upper 30 degree C range. That's fine, but my fans are still going at a high RPM. SMC fan controller was telling me they were running at 1000 RPM! I tried to turn down the fans, but they wouldn't turn down. I thought maybe something with the program got screwed up when I did the system restore from backup so I deleted the application and restarted the computer and it STILL stayed at that high fan speed without SMC fan control even installed.

Is it possible that when they reassembled the machine that they didn't plug in a temperature sensor or fan speed control? I mean, this is significantly louder than when it left my hands last weekend and the temps aren't even out of control.

*EDIT*
    Just 10 minutes after writing the above the fan speeds/noise seems to have increased significantly and the only application running is Safari (I think fans are funning full speed). Temps are 37/38C as opposed to 34/35C when writing above. SMC Fan Control still says 996-1000 RPM. Clearly something is not functioning properly with these fans.

Any ideas?

4. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

One other thing I just discovered is that before I left for work this morning I put the computer into sleep mode and the fan was still going at full blast with the screen dark. It also wouldn't let me back into the computer by pressing any keys on the keyboard or mouse buttons. I had to turn it off by holding the power button down. Maybe I should rename the title of this thread because this seems to be more than just a temperature issue.

Here are a couple videos I tried to take this morning to illustrate the issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Renk-j_tA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VAJZ-8qRas