Time to replace late 2014 iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cruciarius, Nov 5, 2018.

  1. Cruciarius macrumors member

    Cruciarius

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2013
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #1
    I got my iMac the week it launched. Love it. It's served me well, until it suddenly had a heating issue one day. Thankfully under warranty at the time, so had it fixed. Then of course after the warranty expired, the heating issue returned. The "fix" for the over heating issue was them redoing the heatsink, plus replacing some parts. I can't recall what parts exactly.

    Due to the heating issue, the GPU sits around 180° F, with almost nothing open (Twitterrific, Discord, maybe a window or 2 in Safari). If I open up 2 Twitch pages (a site where people stream gaming, art, etc), it ramps up to 200° F or sometimes more. Once it reaches 225° F it of course forces a sleep mode, until it cools down. If I try to play almost any game, with nothing open, it quickly shoots up to 200°+ F and eventually forces sleep.

    So my question is... do I try to have it repaired, not under warranty? It might cost a lot.

    Ideally, I'd like to try to hold out until the rumored Mac Pro, if I can even afford it, and get rid of the iMac. Though being a rumor, I don't know if I'm waiting for something actually coming out or not.

    Another thought would be to just settle for the new Mac Mini. I read the ideal setup for it would include buying an external GPU though, so after monitors and other things, still paying $4,000+, which is fine. I expect that with the Mac Pro too, but with less need of an external GPU and likely far more power.

    If I was to get the iMac repaired, I think it would last me a few more years.

    Thoughts?
     
  2. ignatius345, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018

    ignatius345 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2015
    #2
    Can you get a quote for the repair before committing? It's hard to really assess the options without knowing that cost. If it's like $500, maybe it's worth it to get another few years out of it. If it's more, maybe you're better off selling it, donating it, whatever and just moving on.

    You also haven't said which iMac it is -- one of the big 27" 5K ones or one of the smaller 4K ones... or a non-retina iMac?

    Assuming Apple did the work -- if it's the same exact issue they supposedly repaired, maybe worth looking into your options as far as it being potentially a faulty repair.
     
  3. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

    staggerlee41

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2017
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #3
    I'm assuming your current iMac meets your needs other than the current issue you've described so in that case, I agree with getting a quote on the repair costs before going any further. Especially since they repaired it once and it's failed again and be vocal about this.

    If you get it fixed, it buys you more time and it also gives you the ability to sell a working computer or have something as a backup as you plan your next move. If it's not worth it to you to get it fixed then don't. That's a question one you can truly answer but I'd at least investigate my options.

    I've got a 2012 MBP which needed to have repair out of warranty. The keyboard stopped working and there was another issue with it they mentioned could come into play. It cost me $500 but that was a year ago and the computer is still working quite well. I looked at it like this: $500 vs. $1500+ for a new MBP.

    Given that I'd upgraded memory and more recently to a SSD, it was a no brainer for me to get fixed. Apple also mailed me a box to return the computer complete with a label, all I needed to do was schedule the pickup. I contacted Apple Monday mid afternoon, box arrived on Tuesday and I had my MBP back on Thursday mid day. I wasn't going the route of going to the Apple store (45min drive each way), for them to diagnose, only to tell me it has to get sent out for repair. Sure I paid for it but it was worthwhile to me.
     
  4. Cruciarius thread starter macrumors member

    Cruciarius

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2013
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #4
    Problem is, I don't know for sure what the issue is, as far as hardware needing replacement. If I take it in and they want to swap out the logic board again, plus other parts, that won't be cheap. I could probably buy the Mac Mini with minor upgrades for the price of them changing all that.

    I do need a price quote though, before I decide. Just having them hold it to figure it out may take a while and I use my computer daily. I do have a work laptop, a MacBook Air, which I can use until I got it back though...

    But yeah... I'll see about a price quote and go from there. However I think they'll have to take it apart either way, to find the problem. I worry that alone might cost me.
     
  5. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

    staggerlee41

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2017
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #5
    I spoke to Apple Support when I had my issue, I never took it in to a store. They worked with me to troubleshoot and determine what they perceived was the problem. They gave me a range of estimated costs and that is what I based my decision on--the maximum. Of course once they get in there, there's potential it impacts something else but I figured I'd take the risk.

    If I were in your position, I'd contact Apple Support and press the issue of this having been a problem before and find out what the potential costs would be then make a decision based on that.

    Playing devil's advocate, if you opt NOT to sink the money into it, what's this going to be worth to you vs. if you do get it fixed and then sell in favor of something else?
     

Share This Page

4 November 5, 2018