Time to replace my old macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HomerThompson, Nov 26, 2013.

1. HomerThompson macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I'm a java developer and the proud owner of a late 2008 alu 13'' 2.0GHz MacBook, best laptop ever. A couple of years ago I upgraded it to Snow Leopard, 8 gb ram, a 750gb hdd, replaced the superdrive with a 256gb Samsung 830 SSD and a brand new battery. I don't do games. Basically it still works like a charm for my work, and I wouldn't dream of replacing it if it wouldn't for some kind of paranoia that someday soon it could stop working. There are no signs of it, but still, the 5th birthday has just passed and maybe it's time to evaluate the situation again.
    What would you advise? As I said before, I'm a java programmer, sometimes I need to run Windows on Parallels, but that's it. No video editing, no games.
    I'm not so sure I would buy a 13'' again, it would look very similar to my current macbook... A 15'' on the other hand, that would really stand out, and I like it. I could use my macbook as a spare laptop.. but I'm very attached to it :)
    Would you buy something? Would you wait maybe one other year? Any kind of feed is appreciated, thank you.

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

So it is heavily upgraded, works great for what you need, and has no signs of problems? Why would you need to replace it?

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Thats a good question!

4. HomerThompson thread starter macrumors newbie

:)
    Like I said, no matter how fond of my macbook I can be, a time comes when tech stuff can't be considered reliable anymore, am I wrong? I mean, after several years of stressful work (in terms of up-time), shouldn't we expect some kind of failure, maybe, I don't know, from the motherboard or the trackpad or the screen.. Shouldn't I try to prevent that considering also that I can't really afford a month without my work laptop or, God forbids, with a crappy windows substitute from work.
    What I maybe forgot to tell you is that I could have some financial incentives from work to buy a new one.

5. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

If it is working fine, make sure its backed up and then upgrade when it bites the dust. No need to replace something working perfectly fine. Especially if theres no sign of trouble.

6. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Take the free money!

7. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I just replaced my late 2008 2.4 GHz aluminum MacBook with a late 2013 15" rMBP and all I can say is the speed and screen difference is amazing. My late 2008 still works well, although the HDD recently bit the dust and I had to replace it. Otherwise it has been rock solid. If the offer by you company has a time limit I would take them up on it. If not, I think you could wait until it dies. I would also recommend upgrading to Mavericks as it runs well on the late 2008.

8. HomerThompson thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, but you got the top end 15'' with 1TB ssd, right? If I had that chance that would be a no brainer :) I don't think my budget can go over 2000€, so that means 15'' entry level.. Thanks anyway for your post, I will probably wait..

9. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I think the entry level 15" would still be a significant upgrade in terms of speed, but since you have already installed a SSD maybe the difference would not be as big to you as it was to me. I think the SSD does a lot to speed up boot times and opening apps.

My old late 2008 is going to be wiped clean and given to one of my friends for his kids. It really is in excellent condition with no scratches or dents. Was considering selling it, but I think the kids can still get some good use out of it and I'd rather see it go to someone I know will appreciate it (although a couple hundred bucks in my pocket would have been nice:)).

10. HomerThompson thread starter macrumors newbie

That is tempting for sure, I will wait for some sort of sign..
    Anyway I wouldn't sell it either, but keep it around, just in case... :)

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

12. Yell0w macrumors regular

Was in the same situation as you. Upgraded my early 2008 MBP to 4GB Ram, 256GB SSD. Runs great for Web browsing but the battery is really bad. It used to last 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on usage and now less than 20 minutes!!! Brought a MBA 2013, so much lighter.