Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trekster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Downey,CA
I was getting "medium" disc errors when trying to burn a DVD.

Also, the dvd drive will spit out the CD a few times before it starts working.

I switched to a different brand of Blank DVD's: No good

I try burning the DVD at the slowest speed possible: No Good

Then I proceeded to:

A mac hardware extensive test: everything passed

I did a PRAM reset.

and did a repair disk permission.

No cigar. The only option I can think of now is to try to clean the superdrive with compressed air.

I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion, so I don't know if that could be the cause of it.

Specs of computer are in my sig.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
See if the local store will let you bring in your drive to see it will write with one of their demo machines...and maybe you can try to write with one of their drives.

If any of your friends have a superdrive, check it with your machine.

wickedking94

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
If it is dead I recommend an external drive if you don't use it much or travel lots and need a dvd drive. The superdrive in my MBP is dead but my local pawn shop had a MacBook Air external super drive for a mere 50$. Much cheaper then getting a new drive and having someone install it (unless your thew tech savvy type who replaces it yourself)

trekster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Downey,CA
It is possible that the drive failed. Is your computer under AppleCare?

Applecare ended in the beginning of the year.

----------

If it is dead I recommend an external drive if you don't use it much or travel lots and need a dvd drive. The superdrive in my MBP is dead but my local pawn shop had a MacBook Air external super drive for a mere 50$. Much cheaper then getting a new drive and having someone install it (unless your thew tech savvy type who replaces it yourself)

I was thinking about getting a dvd burner with a enclosed case. Would it work with Macbook? Also, if I want to install bootcamp will the computer check my usb dvd drive in order to install windows 7?

Better yet is there an external drive that you recommend?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
If you are out of Apple Care, you could either get a quote from Apple for the repair or you can do it yourself. There are other options as well such as optibay and using an external optical drive if you need to use disks.

sydenham

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010

Excellent advice.

trekster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Downey,CA
Thanks for the advice guys.

Is there any external dvd burner that you guys recommend? Also, I'm better off getting a USB burner instead of a firewire burner because usb has a consistent speed, unlike Firewire. Right?

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I was getting "medium" disc errors when trying to burn a DVD.

Also, the dvd drive will spit out the CD a few times before it starts working.

I switched to a different brand of Blank DVD's: No good

I try burning the DVD at the slowest speed possible: No Good

Then I proceeded to:

A mac hardware extensive test: everything passed

I did a PRAM reset.

and did a repair disk permission.

No cigar. The only option I can think of now is to try to clean the superdrive with compressed air.

I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion, so I don't know if that could be the cause of it.

Specs of computer are in my sig.

I had this also, for me it is the quality of the disc. My MBP seems to prefer +R for some reason from certain brands otherwise it spits them out as described. I used to think it depended on the application used for burning but it turns out it was just choosy.

Last edited:

trekster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Downey,CA
I had this also, for me it is the quality of the disc. My MBP seems to prefer +R for some reason from certain brands otherwise it spits them out as described. I used to think it depended on the application used for burning but it turns out it was just choosy.

I think I read your thread before. I was just using DVD-R. I'm going to try DVD+R. It's cheaper than buying an external cd.

trekster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Downey,CA
So I bought an external DVD burner and Im still getting the same error. Could burning a corrupt file cause this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.