Time to shutter the Microsoft Stores?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by smoledman, Jul 22, 2014.

1. smoledman macrumors 68000

They probably are in the red by hundreds of millions every quarter with no prospect of ever breaking even, much less becoming profitable. That's another area for Nadella to eliminate. Especially since it's clear MS is becoming a strictly productivity/cloud company. Stop pretending you're Apple.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I think they need to rethink them at least. When the Surface first came out, they had a little showcase in the middle of our mall. I think if they went back to that approach, like a lot of other little shops here do, it would be better for them than renting out a huge space.

3. maflynn, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The MS store I frequent is usually busy, granted I'm not in there as much as I am in the apple store, but foot traffic wise. I'd say its quite busy.

As for synergy of MS having a store, like apple. I agree. I think its a poor fit for the products and services they offer.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

The ones here are quite busy, almost as busy as Apple stores. I don't think it's a bad thing though even if the retail stores doesn't make money, it gives presences for relatively little money to Microsoft. I would think an ad on TV costs more than a retail store for a year.

5. smoledman thread starter macrumors 68000

I think you'd be shocked at how many millions per year a single store costs.

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Microsoft's 2013 advertising budget was $2.5 billion.

Each prime time 30 second ad is over $100,000. They add up.

7. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Indeed. They should go back to the small kiosks and getting prime placement in stores like bestbuy.

8. smoledman thread starter macrumors 68000

MS is gonna look awfully silly closing down 70 full-size retail stores. Talk about more embarrassment coming.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I think shareholders aren't going to care. It's silly to the tech community, but it's better for everyone else.