Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hollywood F1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
The aspect ratio of the iPad is 1.333:1 and the iPhone is 1.5:1. I propose the following for both-- 1.414:1. You math folks will recognize the root-2 ratio. This is the ratio of paper that pretty much the whole world uses, except the stubbornly backward US.

The brilliant thing is that when you divide the screen in half, you are left with two rectangles that keep that proportion. This would make pane-splitting very practical. Two applications can run in side by side and they would fill the screen perfectly. Also, if the ISO-A5 is used as the standard for the iPad (very nearly the current size, just about half an inch longer), then items would even be to-scale that were drawn on paper to-scale.

Additionally, the width of the screen in landscape would match, in full-scale, the width of an ISO-A4 page: the most common paper size in the world. There would therefore be no better way to visualize the printed size of document, since it would truly be precisely the size of the printed page.

Similarly, the iPhone's screen should be ISO-A8, which would make it exactly 1/8th the area of the iPad with the same proportions-- also to-scale.

In an environment where we are constantly flipping orientation, wouldn't it be nice if there were some sense behind the scaling and proportioning? And this would also create better interchange between the iPhone and iPad.

As for pixel count, 1920x1360 works out beautifully. This enables 1080i/p to be displayed at full screen extent with no pixels up- or down-scaled. This yields 232 ppi, which would be a very nice increase in resolution for the iPad over the current 132 ppi.

The iPhone's pixel count would then be exactly half of the iPad's at 960x680. The ppi would then change extremely slightly from 326 to 328 ppi. (note that iPhone ppi divided by iPad ppi: 328/232=1.414). Currently it is 960x640, so this again breaks down beautifully and provides for wonderfully simple mathematical ratios underlying all the beauty of the pixel density and practicality of scaling between device orientations and among devices.

Last edited:

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
The terms 'standardize' and 'Apple' don't typically work well together... and rightfully so.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
The aspect ratio of the iPad is 1.333:1 and the iPhone is 1.5:1. I propose the following for both-- 1.414:1. You math folks will recognize the root-2 ratio. This is the ratio of paper that pretty much the whole world uses, except the stubbornly backward US.

The brilliant thing is that when you divide the screen in half, you are left with two rectangles that keep that proportion. This would make pane-splitting very practical. Two applications can run in side by side and they would fill the screen perfectly. Also, if the ISO-A5 is used as the standard for the iPad (very nearly the current size, just about half an inch longer), then items would even be to-scale that were drawn on paper to-scale.

Additionally, the width of the screen in landscape would match, in full-scale, the width of an ISO-A4 page: the most common paper size in the world. There would therefore be no better way to visualize the printed size of document, since it would truly be precisely the size of the printed page.

Similarly, the iPhone's screen should be ISO-A8, which would make it exactly 1/8th the area of the iPad with the same proportions-- also to-scale.

In an environment where we are constantly flipping orientation, wouldn't it be nice if there were some sense behind the scaling and proportioning? And this would also create better interchange between the iPhone and iPad.

As for pixel count, 1920x1360 works out beautifully. This enables 1080i/p to be displayed at full screen extent with no pixels up- or down-scaled. This yields 232 ppi, which would be a very nice increase in resolution for the iPad over the current 132 ppi.

The iPhone's pixel count would then be exactly half of the iPad's at 960x680. The ppi would then change extremely slightly from 326 to 328 ppi. (note that iPhone ppi divided by iPad ppi: 328/232=1.414). Currently it is 960x640, so this again breaks down beautifully and provides for wonderfully simple mathematical ratios underlying all the beauty of the pixel density and practicality of scaling between device orientations and among devices.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I am not sure that the iPhone being an 1/8th of the iPad would be ideal.

Hollywood F1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
After all that I wrote you call me to task on my notion of the existence of shades-of-gray in the word "slightly"? Well, I guess I'm happy you read it at least.

As to the 1/8 comment above, that's practally what we have right now. Perhaps it wasn't clear that I was referring to area and not linear distance. Here's the dimensions of both devices, both current and proposed:

Device || L (in) || W (in) || Area (in2) || pixels (LxW) || ppi

iPad, current || 7.75 || 5.80 || 45.0 || 1024x768 || 132
iPad, proposed || 8.27 || 5.83 || 48.2 || 1920x1360 || 232

iPhone, current || 2.95 || 1.97 || 5.81 || 960x640 || 326
iPhone, proposed || 2.91 || 2.05 || 5.97 || 960x680 || 328

Please refer to my original post for justifications behind these proposed changes. The most apparent change is to the iPad's resolution. Overall, the proposed changes are slight dimensionally, but quite consequential in function.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
To late now, apps are
Made for 1 resolution (and their pixel doubled res). The aps would need to be reworked.

The iPad is 1 device and the iPhone another, what is the point of standardizing them anyways

And third point is apple optimized each device to the size they think is best. What's done is done

Hollywood F1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Aps are reworked all the time; there have already been three standards of scale, size, and proportion on the iOS. Another one will likely be announced tomorrow. These platforms will go further into the future if they are more functional. Why would you ask what my reasons are for this when I gave many many justifications for standardization? And of course they're two seperate devices, but they share a lot in common in terms of utility and the operating system. They would work together more nicely if they had these scale and proportion items in common.

You seem to suffer from a non-future-oriented, defeatest attitude. Thank goodness those of us in charge of better mousetraps aren't so narrow.

If there are reasons to say no to this, they would be reasons of economics. For example, maybe the exact screen sizes would be too expensive to recoup costs on. Something tells me that these are surmountable given the volume of production.

I believe that this would give ap-writers fewer headaches and a more integrated product. I believe they would be happy to see something like this come about.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
All this sounds good and dandy, but Apple is not going to change their pixel count anytime soon.

alexm14

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
In Favor of Standardization

Hi Hollywood,

I know this post is very old, but I thought I'd post this anyway.

I can really relate to your desire to have resolutions standardized. Your reasons are very well presented.

I work as a web/graphic designer, and the proliferation of different resolutions and proportions drives me crazy.

I see design as a very visual process, and visual composition (and visual communication) for the past few thousand years has relied on scalar and proportional relationships that have been stable.

The current, 30-year-old technocratic system (Apple, MS, and even many self-named web designers) are taking all of this visual history, and throwing it away.

I believe that technology should serve humanity, and not the other way around. We're all currently slaves of the technocrats.

Maybe the tide will change.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

American company, American paper size. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.