Time to think about a new phone/iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by temiller, Jul 22, 2011.

1. temiller, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

temiller macrumors member

Hey all,

I have seen many threads on the home button failing, and they all seem to say a hard reset usually fixes the phone. Occasionally it will work for me, but thats occasionally.

I have had the home button problem for quite some time, but I stupidly decided against getting it fixed before my warranty was up (I'm pretty sure the warranties up. I bought it the day it was released in stores).

With the home screen problem, it seems to have trouble waking. I'll press the home button, and like usual it won't work. I'll press the lock/power button, and nothing happens. I'll hold the lock and home button to do a hard reset, and it just takes a screen shot, sometimes multiple times of a black screen (if I'm doing a hard reset anyways, it'll just take picture(s) of whatever is on the screen while I'm trying to do a hard reset).

So what do you guys think? Is it time to just bite the bullet and start looking for a new phone (I'll wait until the new iPhone comes out). Would Apple fix mine or offer a replacement? The nearest apple store is roughly ~3 hours away, so driving to one is not really an option.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jonrando macrumors 6502a

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Take it into Apple and see what they say. If they want $200 maybe just get a cheap phone off CL to last you till the iPhone 5?

EDIT: Just noticed you said you're not near an Apple store.

4. temiller thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys.

Shortly after I made this thread I found the warranty status page. My iPhone is currently out of warranty, so there goes that.

I was getting ready to order a new home screen button and seeing if that might fix it, then the iOS 5.4 software update came up on my phone. Went ahead, installed it, and by-golly. It works like a dream now. I'm sure within a week the joy of a working home button will wear off and I'll be ordering a new button.

I want to avoid getting a new phone for a few months, mainly because my Apple addiction is getting the best of me... Again. (Apple will be getting a good $1000-1500 of my money here shortly. (iPad 2, Time Machine (or maybe a Lacie drive, undecided), Apple TV possibly, etc.)