Time to think, old vs. new

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HiFiGuy528, Sep 29, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Isn't it better to buy the fastest MBP now then to buy a newly redsigned unit? Here are the reasons.

- Proven track record on the current model, we know what works and what doesn't which means less bugs and surprises.

- The price of the current 2.6GHZ model may be less than the starting price of a slowest upcoming model (maybe a 2.5GHZ) due to deep discounts on the Bay.

- Almost always better NOT to buy first (gen) redesign of anything, cars are a good example and perhaps the MacBook Air.

Your thoughts?

2. 4fingered macrumors member

all good points, especially the point about first gen things being more prone to problems, but I doubt the base model MBP will be drastically more expensive if at all.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

you're overlooking the most important thing...Defective GPUS

WAIT

just take a look at the first few pages of the MBP forum, you'll see all kindsa dead GPU threads

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the next MBP won't a first gen machine; a redesign ≠ first generation.

As with processor, it'll probably be a 2.53GHz as the base model and a 2.8GHz as the BTO model.

As with GPUs, well since they found the issue, the current ones sold shouldn't have that issue anymore.

5. Purple Pelican macrumors member

Depends on what kind of updates they have in the new MBP, but i'd say that you have a good argument. The processors won't change that much (only minor speed bumps), and gpus probably won't transform too much either. Personally I would look into apple refurb stock once the new MBPs come out to find a cheap old one.

6. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

i thought the rumor mill was touting that the new MBs and MBPs will be $200 cheaper than current models

7. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

A top of the line MBP on the Bay is more than a couple of hundred dollars cheaper, almost a thousand dollars cheaper than retail (new).

8. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Im waiting atleast. I wouldn't be as satisfied pouring the $2500 it would cost me to buy the cheapest one here in Sweden if I saw a new one come out in 3 weeks. It is all about how much you value getting the newest edition. :)