Time to Update From 10.6

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by DjSnert, Feb 27, 2014.

1. DjSnert macrumors newbie

So i've been putting it off due to im buying a new rMBP and well I just don't want to go through the hassle of backing everything to update to OS. I know OSX is the newest OS but my concern is how well will it work with a mid 2010 17" i7 MBP and my main audio software (Ableton, Serato, Traktor)? Or should I upgrade to one of the other not so new OS? I know it's a pretty vague question but I am paranoid and I need my laptop and software working properly in order to do my job. Thanks for the help on my dumb question! :cool:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You machine will definitely run Mavericks. So then the question is will your apps still work.

Probably best to check the support forums for each app to find out if they work under Mavericks.

3. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

working on a mid 2010 15" i7 machine, I can say that (for me) 10.9 is the best operation system for this machine. Better than 10.8 and much better than 10.7

Performance and Battery life is good on Mavericks and I really like some of the new features. The only thing I still miss is Exposee

As weaselboy said: the OS will run fine, the question is: will your apps work?

4. Felasco Guest

If you need your laptop and software to be working perfectly, and they already are, I'd stick with that.

You could perhaps install Mavericks on a bootable external drive, and experiment there. If you don't have a compelling and specific reason why you want to try Mavericks, my vote would be to skip it.

I had a specific reason, text dictation, but it just wasn't enough of a benefit to make the problems worth it, for me.

5. DjSnert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice. One more noob like question for you. I am being lazy and want to upgrade my OS but I dont want to do the tedious process of moving everything to an external. Is this really needed and recommended or can I get by without having to do a backup of everything?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can just update to Mavericks right over top of Snow Leopard and it won't erase your data. That said, running a Time Machine backup to an external is always a good idea just in case your disk decides to up and die on you.