Time to upgrade? - FCPX machine....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ifti, Dec 8, 2016.

  1. Ifti, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016

    Ifti macrumors 68000

    Dec 14, 2010
    I am considering replacing my 2013 rMBP with the new 2016 model.
    Current specs:

    - 2.6 Quad i7
    - 16GB RAM
    - 1TB SSD
    - 750m GPU

    It is used mainly for screen-casting and editing work with FCPX.

    I have on order a 2016 15" MBP:

    - 2.9 Quad i7
    - 16GB RAM
    - 1TB SSD
    - Radeon Pro 460

    A few things to note:
    - I'm not really ordering for the Touch Bar. Yes its a nice addition, but I don't know if I'd use it with FCPX very much. Then again maybe I'll use it and it'll completely change my workflow??! Not sure.
    - I ordered more for the extra power, as well as the ports. Yes, I know many don't like the port situation, but my editing drive is USB-C anyway. I'd have to purchase just the USB dongle. The only port I'd actually miss a bit is the SD Card Reader - but thats no biggie for me considering the MacBook does not travel around with me. It sits on the desk all day. I have my MBA that I carry around.
    - The brighter screen would be great with my video work.

    The plan was to sell my current MBP, which I hope to get somewhere close to almost 1/3 of the new MBP cost (I work in education so am entitled to the education discount too), considering its completely mint and has original box, as well as all plastic wrapping etc!! Seriously, its like new when boxed back up!

    Although Ive already placed my order, Im having second thoughts. The GPU issues. The battery issues. The TM backup issues. Most of all, would I really notice much or a performance boost??
    Yes I want to go the USB-C/TB3 route for future external displays etc, but thats not enough to sway me if Im not getting much more power? Most of the comparisons I see are with the 2015 MBP. Is the 2016 a big jump up from the late 2013 model??

    Your thoughts?
  2. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

    Jun 17, 2012
    I think you wasted your money. Your current MBP is just fine. I'd give it a year or so until the new MBP matures, then I'd upgrade. My ten cents worth.
  3. thesaint024 macrumors 65816


    Nov 14, 2016
    suspension waiting room
    Suggest you change your title to get editors to chime in. Otherwise this thread will flood with fanboy/hater arguments. You probably want those that use FCPX to weigh in on their first hand experience.
  4. cerberusss macrumors 6502a


    Aug 25, 2013
    The Netherlands
    The CPU won't be a big win, but the SSD will be seriously faster.
  5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

    Jul 22, 2010
    FCPX runs just dandy on my late 2013 15" rMBP. Don't spend the $$$ unless you really "have to"
  6. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

    Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks guys - the more I think about it the more I do think Im wasting my money here. I mean, my current system is doing everything I need it to at the moment - I have no real reason to upgrade I guess.....
    Gonna ponder over it for the next day or two and make my final decisions his weekend!
  7. TigerWoodsIV macrumors 6502a

    Apr 3, 2010
    Even though I bought one, I don't see why anyone would "need" to upgrade unless it's pretty old. Mine is pretty damn old.

Share This Page