Time to upgrade from Sierra?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by sakabaro, Jun 7, 2018.

  1. sakabaro macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2015
    #1
    I've used High Sierra a bit when it first came out, but had to go back to Sierra as it was slower and buggy.

    Is it better now? Notably in term of performance and stability?

    I don't think that there is a feature I really want from High Sierra so I don't mind sticking with Sierra. I am particularly scared by the new file system that seems to be unstable while yielding worst performance.

    Looking forward to hear you guys feedback.
     
  2. SoCalReviews macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2012
    #2
    Be Afraid, Very very Afraid. :eek:

    ...JK... post your model, year and system specs (drive type, RAM, etc.) for your Mac and it will be easier for others to give advice on your proposed upgrade to HS.
     
  3. sakabaro thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2015
    #3
    Very afraid indeed! ;)

    Here you go, I've a MacBook 15" 2017 with touch bar.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2018 ---
    Doing mostly development work, using VS Code, GitHub desktop, Rails, MongoDB, lots of terms, etc. and a bit of design work.
     

    Attached Files:

  4. Smoothie macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #4
    I've got a 2017 iMac with an SSD and an external spinning hard drive for backup. I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to High Sierra with 10.13.5. Both the internal and external drives had FileVault enabled prior to upgrading. I've not experienced any problems. I can't say that it feels any more responsive, but it's been very stable. I usually wait for the third point release before upgrading, but I waited longer this time.
     
  5. OldGreyGuy, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018

    OldGreyGuy macrumors member

    OldGreyGuy

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2014
    Location:
    Near Brisbane, Australia
    #5
    Agree entirely, I have several machines that need to keep up with security patches, etc but being a cautious type of chap I also usually wait for x.x.4 or x.x.5. Just a legacy of being in this industry since the early 1980s. Starting to think about moving an iMac and a MacBook Pro or two onto HS.
     
  6. Jack Neill macrumors regular

    Jack Neill

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2015
    Location:
    San Antonio Texas
    #6
    I feel like that 10.13.4 was really a turning point for performance and stability.
     
  7. oldhifi macrumors 65816

    oldhifi

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    Location:
    USA
  8. MacDawg macrumors Core

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #8
    I've had no issues at all on a 2011 13" MacBook Air and 2013 15" MacBook Pro upgrading to HS
    I realize some have issues, but I have not
     
  9. PilotWoo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2006
    #9
    I have ran High Sierra from day one using similar apps to you. No issues.
     
  10. Plutonius macrumors 604

    Plutonius

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    New Hampshire, USA
    #10
    If you don't need it and Sierra is working great for you, stick with Sierra.

    I would however download and save the High Sierra installer.
     
  11. SoCalReviews, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018

    SoCalReviews macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2012
    #11
    :eek:

    ....but seriously. If you want to be that paranoid about updating to HS you could take precautions such as doing a redundancy back up of your Sierra install using both TM and CCC. Ultimately everyone has to make their own decisions since anything can happen with any update but I have found HS 10.13.5 to be quite stable. If anything it seems to be at least as snappy as Sierra and overall it's a definite improvement over the buggy early HS releases.

    I am planning on sticking with HS for a while and I'll probably delay my upgrade to 10.14.x Mojave when it is released since it seems that Apple is planning to drop support for older 32bit applications. At this time I don't don't want to have to get new versions of those older applications.
     
  12. Reverend Benny macrumors member

    Reverend Benny

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2017
    Location:
    Europe
    #12
    Was using Sierra on my Macbook 2016 13" up untill 2-3 months ago.
    Updated and it has worked fine aside from that my Saitek thunderbolt 3 dock is acting a bit shifty after the last update.
    Maybe it would have been the same with the latest update on Sierra.
    But on the other hand, the Macbook 2016 aperantly has a few issues with their ports and connecting external screens via USB-C.

    I'd say go for it but make a backup before you do.
     
  13. PlayMoneyPro macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2017
    Location:
    Northern CA
    #13
    Hi all, I have a Mid 2011 iMac (2.5 GHz, i5, 20 GB) currently running Sierra 10.12.6.

    Think I’m okay upgrading to High Sierra? It’s running a little sluggishly now so looking for something that might help performance a bit.
     
  14. SoCalReviews, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018

    SoCalReviews macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2012
    #14
    I would do it and as a matter of fact I actually did with my Mac Mini mid-2011 and it seems to run fine. Just do all your full system backups with Time Machine, CCC or whatever you have before you update to HS. The only major hesitation would be if you are running your Mac with an SSD upgrade (non-Apple). Some people have reported issues when converting to APFS with HS 10.13.x.

    You probably won't notice much performance improvement using HS but you might notice some improvement. I did notice it a little. Some people say some applications are not running quite as good HS but I haven't noticed that.
     

Share This Page