Time to upgrade my 20D - 60D or D7000?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by richpjr, Jun 17, 2011.

1. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

My 20D has served me well, but is getting long in the tooth and it's time to upgrade it. My initial thought was a 60D as a natural upgrade to use with my current lenses, but the D7000 sure seems like a much nicer camera. I don't have a huge lens collection, currently a 70-200 f4L, a Tamron 28-75, and a 50mm f1.8 prime. I could sell my current gear and start over with the D7000, or keep the 20D as a backup and buy a 60D with my current lenses.

I do the normal family type photography as well as having a daughter on a club soccer team. I guess the "smart" thing would be the Canon route and it is enough camera for me and would be cheaper. But...I played with a D7000 and was really impressed with it. Decisions, decisions...

2. Steve-F macrumors member

I recently went from Nikon D40x to Canon 60D. The main reason was the poor implementation of video in the Nikon's ... they just don't seem to be as versatile (limited frame rates, on some Nikon models you can't do manual exposure).
    Video is important for me and I'm really happy with my Canon 60D so far.
    Steve

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Stay Canon if you already have Canon lenses, the transition will cost you more $ than its worth. Get the 7D if you can, even if its a refurb.

4. Keleko macrumors 68000

I have a 60D, and I'm quite happy with it. I followed the reviews between the two cameras before I purchased. I don't think there's anything that really makes the D7000 that much better of a camera. They are both quite good in that price range. I don't think you'll regret the 60D if you get it.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You have good glass there, so no reason to switch brands IMO. Sadly Nikon does not have something like the 70-200 f4. I would save the money switching to Nikon and add a nice 17-50 f2.8 or 11-16 f2.8 lens to your mix with a new Canon body.

6. xapplestorempl macrumors newbie

Get a used 5d

You won't see the technical differences in the camera itself but with the lenses you own minus the Tamron you will see better image quality. The 60d is still crop sensor and doesn't take advantage of all of the glass on an L lense.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Others would say otherwise on the Tamron 28-75 even on the 5D. It is a good performer and is used by many wedding/event photographers.

8. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I believe that the implementation of video on the D7000 is Nikon's most recent and actually quite good, so I don't think there should be any disappointment there, however if you are good with Canon then stick with Canon, you already have lenses and a comfort level, no need to change unless you hate Canon.

9. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

The Tamron lens is a very good walk around lens for the price - I am very happy with it. I think I will stick with Canon and keep the lenses I have. I do think the 60D will be fine and not that I am a heavy video guy, at least it gives me that choice.

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I would look at either Canon 7D or Nikon D7000. Both are very close. D7000 has a cheaper sticker price and you get more bells and whistle.

Depending on what you want. Either will work. Don't look at the video cause that's one feature. Both 7D & D7000 have a nice solid build to them. They have a nice improvement over their predecessors. D7000 design changes fix the quirkiness in changing to Live View. Other features D7k - Dual card slots and longer battery charge. 7D 8fps and time laspe recording

11. User3977 macrumors member

i would have to suggest the 7D, if i remember right the 20D uses CF cards and not the SD cards the 60D uses. i know there is a price gap in the two but if your like me you have a ton of CF cards.

12. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

I do, but am now looking at that as a minor negative since it requires an external card reader vs the built in SD card reader in my iMac.

13. c1phr macrumors 6502

I was recently in your boat (upgrading from a 10D myself), albeit with less lenses.

I've shot on a D7000, and it's an awesome camera for sure. I know a lot of people say that the Mag-Alloy build on the D7000 is a big plus, but the 60D is pretty damn durable and doesn't feel like a plastic body at all. The 7D is a great upgrade too if you have the money to buy one (maybe a refurb? http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_260463_-1), otherwise you can't go wrong with a 60D, especially since you already have some good Canon glass.

14. dawgfan macrumors 6502

dawgfan

I made the mistake of selling my 20D. I truly regret it now and wish I had it back. Think long and hard before getting rid of it.

15. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

What did you replace it with?

16. dawgfan macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Initially, a T2i and added a grip due to smallish size of body. I ended up giving the Rebel to my wife and ordering a 50D as I am more used to the size of the D series bodies. I got the 50D through the Canon Loyalty Program. Are you familiar with it?

17. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

If you can sell your current setup for little to no loss (on the glass side), then moving to a D7000 is worth it if you really like the body. On the Nikon side, you can get an 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D which is relatively affordable. The 50 f/1.8 or 1.4 was just recently updated and are both excellent glass for very fair prices as well.

I know the traditional advice is to stay with whatever system you're invested in, but really, 2-3 lenses is barely that involved. And especially the lenses you have, it'll sell very quickly. I wouldn't say it's a stopper for a switchover.

18. 100Teraflops, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I own a 60D and I have nothing but good things to say about the camera. However, if you handled both cameras and you prefer the D7000, then sell your stuff and buy it! Also, since you do not plan to shoot videos, then this strengthens your case for the D7000. As someone already stated, you are not heavily invested in glass/flashes etc, so buy what you truly desire or else. You might travel down this same road after you purchase the 60D and handle a friend's D7000! IMHO :D

19. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

I have spent a fair amount of time with a 60D and think I would be content with it - and in fact, think that is the way I am going to go. It's cheaper, requires no hassle selling anything, and leaves me with a backup camera. If I was starting fresh I'd go for the D7000, but I'm not. If I go for the 60D, the D7000 will be tempting, but so will the next generation Canon, and the D8000 or whatever is next, and on and on. I have had the 20D since the first week it was released and been content through all the model updates.

20. Steve-F macrumors member

Whatever you go for do a quick test on it as soon as you can. My first 60D I had to return as it had a dead pixel on the sensor. I didn't notice it initially but did spot it within 15 days so was able to return and get a replacement.
    Steve

21. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

When I get a new camera, I can assure you I'll be taking a ton of pictures right off the bat! I just noticed that Canon has a $100 instant rebate going on with the 60D, dropping the price to $899 for the body only.

22. planetwave2000 macrumors member

planetwave2000

I'd stick with Canon since you already have the lens. Those Canon lenses you have are perfect setup from wide angle, portraits & telephotos. If you switch with Nikon you'll end up spending more money to start over again (unless money is not an issue). Nikon's lenses are more expensive than Canon's lenses. Besides, not all Nikon lenses are Made in Japan, some or most of them are Made in Thailand (sucks). Unless you go for third party lenses like Tamron, Sigma, etc....

23. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

And stick with the Canon I did - just picked up the 60D last night. In the brief time I have had to play with it, it will suit me just fine.