time to upgrade my MBP 13" vs 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tails2k, Nov 19, 2011.

1. tails2k macrumors newbie

Hi Guys ! Finally time to upgrade the MBP it's been 2 years, so the model I have has the following specs:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009)
    2.26 GHz Intel core 2 Duo
    2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

What are you thoughts on the i5 vs i7 dual core (13") and the quad core (15")

I usually use my MBP for basic things and carry it around the house and when I travel. I do notice on my current MBP that I run out of desktop space so the higher resolution would be nice. Though $600 for more desktop space seems a bit steep.

Also once I buy my new MBP I'd be looking to sell my 2009 model, what would a fair price to sell it for ?

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If you stay with the 13", just get the base one - the 2.4 GHz. The i7 is not worth the extra money.

Only you can decide if the 15" is worth the extra. It's a quad-core vs. dual-core for the 13" models, and has more screen real estate as well as much better graphics capability.

You could also upgrade yours with RAM and a new larger, faster hard drive. If you sell yours as is, you're probably looking at anywhere from $500-700 for it, depending on condition, warranty, whether you have the box, etc.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

You've pretty much hit on the only question that needs to be answered -

Is the leap in price worth the extra real estate? Especially considering on how much moving around/traveling you do with your laptop, portability becomes an important factor.

I would say no, it's not worth it. Unless you had some other reason(s) like gaming that would obviously favor the 15" setups, the 13" looks to be the best deal.

4. shaun319 macrumors member

I would upgrade the RAM on your current unit and wait until the new "thin" MBP 15 inch comes out next year.

I recently upgrade the RAM to 8GB on my unit it is amazingly fast.

5. tails2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I'll give the RAM upgrade a shot first. & wait to see what happens in 2012