Time to upgrade my original rMBP...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jrouse2, May 22, 2015.

1. jrouse2, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015

jrouse2 Suspended

Ok so I currently have the mid-2012 15" Retina MBP, one of the first models with the Retina display. I also have an older 13" Air that I was using primarily for school. I really do not need two laptops so I'm looking to sell them both and pick up one machine that will meet all of my needs.

I primarily use my laptops for basic school use including web browsing, word processing, and other basic applications. I also have a big music and movie collection but it's all stored on external hard drives so I'd need to access/manage these files. I do not game at all on my laptops but I've been getting into photography so I'd like the ability to edit photos taken on my DSLR. I probably won't do any video editing but I'd like the option to do some beginner stuff on iMovie. The last thing I use my rMBP for is music recording/production, primarily with Logic Pro. According to Apple, the programs I'm looking to run require a minimum of 4gb of ram but I'm just worried about the dual-core i5.

I've currently been carrying the 13" Air to school because the 15" rMBP is just too bulky. I really like the 13" size but the fact there's no quad-core i7 option kind of scares me. My old 2012 15"rMBP has a 2.3 i7 quad-core, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, and a GeForce 650M/Intel HD 4000.

Will the 2015 13" rMBP meet my needs? I really like the look and feel of it but I'm just concerned that the dual-core i5 might be sluggish when running multiple apps.

Could anyone share their experience or feedback??

2. mcmul macrumors 6502

I think you're underestimating how powerful the 13" rMBP chips are and I'd argue the quad core would be overkill for your workload. The 13" rMBP more than meets your needs. Get the larger SSD if you're interested in upgrading from the base model and save the time spent dragging to and from other drives.

3. jrouse2 thread starter Suspended

Thanks for the quick reply!

That's what I kind of figured...the quad-core i7 from 2012 is blazing fast and I don't even push it to its limits. I was just concerned about quad-core vs. dual-core. Would you say it's worth the extra $200 to upgrade to the i7 dual-core found in the 13" rMBP?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No the i7 benchmarks about 2-3% faster, to be honest your workload could be done on the new rMB a 13 inch rMBP seems perfect for you.

5. mcmul macrumors 6502

I would pass on that upgrade. IIRC it runs hotter and won't deliver a noticeable improvement in speed, i.e. it's a vanity upgrade. I use last year's model and found it very impressive. As I said, the SSD is the only upgrade I would recommend and actually encourage.

Broader point is that there is lots of bad advice on this forum and it nearly always misses the point: it's 2015, computers are extraordinarily powerful and more than meet the needs of the majority. Don't waste your money!

6. jrouse2 thread starter Suspended

Thanks guys, I do want the extra ssd storage so I'm looking at the highest model with 512gb ssd and the 2.9 i5. I'm guessing you would pass on the upgrade to 16gb ram as well? 8gb was plenty on my 2012..

7. mcmul macrumors 6502

I'd say 8GB meets your needs. To be honest, even if you exceeded that, the ridiculously fast SSD will more than ease the pain during swaps.