time to upgrade to intel?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Grasbak, Oct 19, 2007.

  1. Grasbak macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    with hindsight I purchased my iMac at the worst time. I got the G5 isight when it was released - thinking 'good time to buy as its a new version.....'

    after that I learned more about macs (by joining this forum) and realised what a difference the change to intel made. Basically there are 2 features that I would make use of, which are 1. running windows and 2. watching High Def tv/movies (G5 struggles with 720p!).

    I am thinking about getting the new iMac which does both the above. Question is, are there things on the way which are worth waiting for - other than speed increases? I think its fair to say people would have said wait for intel if I had asked back when I bought the G5....
     
  2. atari1356 macrumors 68000

    atari1356

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    #2
    If you're considering another iMac, then now is a good time to buy. They were updated in August, and would be a very nice upgrade from the G5 you're using now.

    The only reason I wouldn't get one, is that they now only come with a glossy screen... so, if that would bother you then you might consider something else.

    The iMac buyer's guide says "Buy - Product recently updated":
    http://guides.macrumors.com/iMac_Buyer's_Guide
     
  3. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    Thanks.

    My main question is - are their features on the way which 'we' already know about which I may realise would have been useful!!

    I quote my example above - I presume we knew that the move to intel would make it a lot easier to run windows alongside OSX - I didnt realise this.

    I suppose someone might say HD/Blue Ray drives for example.... but I dont think that would bother me.....
     
  4. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

    Kelmon

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2005
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #4
    I admit to dropping the ball on the G5 iMac issue as I recommended a friend to buy one right before they were replaced with the Core Duo version a month later. That mistake aside I think you can buy one safely now since the current range only just received a makeover, new processors from Intel aren't due until the start of next year for laptops (which is that the iMac use) and there's no chance that Apple is about to switch to a new processor manufacturer suddenly this time...
     
  5. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

    CRAZYBUBBA

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto/Houston
    #5
    If you can wait untilt he next update, do so. in a worst case senario, all you get is a speed bump, however the benefits are worth waiting for, esp if they upgrade something.
     

Share This Page