Time to upgrade to MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by i-sidd, Aug 23, 2012.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

My 2006 white MacBook needs to be upgraded. I am looking to buy the MBA but go with the 128gb and upgrade RAM to 8 gb. My only worry is size like many of you. I have been surviving on 64 gb so far and my movies is on external hdd. My worry is photos, what do you guys use to store photos. In times where you are not carrying ur hdd do you leave in cloud, if so the which cloud service do you use.

I don't like to put it in the cloud coz the you can't show the photos in iPhoto.
    So really torn As I don't want to pay the extra for the 256gb knowing that's next year the price will drop. Also I can't wait until next year coz I need to upgrade now.

2. tbl macrumors member

tbl

I use Aperture with a referenced library. The original, full-sized photos are located on an external hard drive, and only the previews are saved on the SSD. These previews can't be edited, but they can be viewed/used in iMovie or other applications/synced to your iOS devices. I think it's a relatively good way to keep the library size small.

3. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

Everything computer related is always going to be cheaper next year. That is a bad reason for not getting what will meet your needs. I went for the 256GB SSD and left RAM and processor alone. I have been nothing but happy thus far (and I still need to use my 2TB NAS for movies and music!)