Time to upgrade?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apple.fiend, Jun 5, 2011.

1. apple.fiend macrumors member

I have been monitoring my computer uses through activity monitor, and have been noticing that when doing really intensive processes (editting pictures, and export, etc.) my processor uses show to be more than 100%/. For example when using Lightroom, I noticed that it jumped to about 150% of processor use. Memory has never been "maxed out" so to speak and there has always been some room left (I have 4GB current). So would this mean I should look into a better processor? Thnx guys.

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

I think it's just using all the resources available to do the task at hand. Is the speed it completes what you're doing unsatisfactory? I don't think there is anything wrong with it using your processor to the it's limit. It just means it'll get the task done as fast as possible.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

That percentage above 100% means that it is using the 2 cores.
    Max out the RAM and then upgrade to a SSD drive, that can give your Mac a boost in performance.
    But if you have the money and want a new model go for it.

4. apple.fiend thread starter macrumors member

I have been thinking of moving up to 8GB of RAM and also of a SSD+Optibay combo, however I heard something about the next macbook having a dedicated SSD for apps and OS, is there any substance to this?

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Yes, a lot of money.

I don't recall where I read, some hybrid SSD + HDD new units out there (maybe they are called differently) give the performance boost and high capacity, but I am not sure if they work fine or do not take advantage of our old Macs speed bus.

6. Uffish Thought macrumors member

795%

When I run Handbreak, and no other apps, my CPU usage goes to 795%.
    4 cores, 2 threads.

7. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yep, same here. I've seen it go to 800% when completely loaded.

8. apple.fiend thread starter macrumors member

Okay, so what Im gathering that this is normal, and nothing to be alarmed about. Another thing, when having all my work apps open, only 200MB of ram is free with the rest being used. Is it time to upgrade RAM to 8GB from 4GB?