Time to upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Raris, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Raris macrumors member

So I bought my iMac 20 inch 2ghz intel core 2 duo iMac with 1gb of ram in April of 2008 as a refurb and I still have 10.5.8 leopard on it..You guys think I should upgrade...? Gonna be a senior in HS...if I do upgrade what should I do with my iMac?

Should I get an Air or Macbook Pro?

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

Clearly you need the RMBP 2.7 512gb 16gb version.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Buy an Air, they're well sorted out, free of annoying bugs and an excellent laptop. I have both the current 11" and 13" it's all about choices for me. I've enjoyed and continue to enjoy them both, with the 13" being my favorite. .

If you really want an expensive MBPr, then you'd be doing yourself a major favor if you wait until they release the next one. This first generation model, like all first gen products that Apple sells, is going to look poor as compared to next years model. It's an Apple tradition, that I've observed for the last two decades.

The most recent example is the difference between the first gen, newly redesigned 2010 MBA vs the 2011 MBA. If you Google the reviews you'll see for yourself. There's a huge improvement the second year after Apple first introduces a new model.

Given the high premium price, I wouldn't want to be stuck or have to resell a model as expensive as the MBPr.

4. Raris thread starter macrumors member

So you're saying I should get an MBA now?... and I won't be as outdated 4 years from now, cuz I can't be updating my laptop ever year like some people...and I mainly just use my computer to go on the internet, watch videos and stuff...and i might starting play games and using bootcamps for windows 8

5. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

The current MacBook Air models are pretty damn fast. They're worth taking a look at.

Which MacBook Pro model were you thinking about?

6. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Wrong.

512GB is far too small for his needs. The 768GB drive is the only real option here.

7. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

If that's all you plan to use for it then the Air or base 13in or 15in MBP would be good. If you have the money, the Retina MBP is awesome. It has a lot of power but the screen is the best part to me.

8. Raris thread starter macrumors member

9. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

you could go for a refurb 15in. MBP. It should last you the 5 years you need if you upgrade the ram. It will feel like an amazing buy if you upgrade the hdd to an ssd.

About 1400 for the refurb + 50-100 for either 8gb or 16 gb of ram + $$$ for an SSD depending on the size.

I would only recommend the MBP if you are going to commit to bootcamp and playing a lot of games otherwise the mba will serve your needs perfectly (get the new on though).

10. Raris thread starter macrumors member

can anyone tell me the best refurb option for me...? Only issue i have with air is, it is non upgradeable, but i love the portability!