Time to upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WorldTravelBro, Dec 17, 2013.

1. WorldTravelBro macrumors member

Do I get a loaded Imac and will it be good enough to play games like Call of Duty Ghosts and battlefield 4 in high settings?

I will mainly use my computer to make videos of my trips and some web design and programming jobs.

At night I usually turn into a gamer :eek:

2. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

A loaded iMac? Maxxed out 27" model?

As long as you bootcamp Windows, I imagine it'll pwn anything you throw at it, no?

I'm more interested to know if I can run a heavily modded Skyrim on the $1499 21" model at 60 FPS, or maybe Bioshock Infinite at native resolution with high detail levels. I search and google but can't seem to come up with anything solid that states if the upper 21" model can handle itself. It seems that all reviews are for i7 27" beasts or the 21" Iris Pro base.

3. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

A loaded iMac has the 780M.. It's a "mobile" class video card.. it's the strongest one you can buy today and is pretty strong. At native res you won't be able to run COD/BF4 at max settings.. At 1080p should easily handle it. . I have a 680M in my laptop and it runs BF4 maxed out at 1080p at 40 or so fps..

4. WorldTravelBro thread starter macrumors member

thanks i will probably be playing at 1920 1080p

5. Prise macrumors regular

In my view, especially for FPS games in high resolution in highest settings, you're going to need one of those high end dedicated Nvidia or Radeon (AMD) based GPUs.

The iMacs regardless of the graphics card it comes with won't run those games at the highest settings with any kind of acceptable fps rate, regardless of whether or not you dual boot it windows.

In a mid range setting, I think it'll be fine. At highest settings, you'd need a PC rig to find one of the above mentioned GPUs, and may even have to have two of them to run some games at the highest settings.