Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nehasharma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
I came across a study lamp which is eco friendly, rechargeable, stylish and at the same time its light does not effect our eyes. I will not reveal the name of this lamp as I want to know how many people actually know about such study lamps which are actually eco friendly. Come on guyz, give me your guesses?

Hint: It has recently got a Red Dot Award ;)

nehasharma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Time to use Eco friendly products

Guyz I saw a video which reflects what we human are doing to the nature and why it has become important for us to start using eco friendly products. I am doing my bit by using eco friendly products in my daily routine, how about urs? Can we discuss, who uses what kind of eco friendly product so that we may come across some which we are not aware of so far?

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Why did you make a new thread for your lamp instead of mentioning it here?

I only leave 4 bathroom lights on while I sleep, instead of 5. You know, in case I need to pee.

danielcox

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Not always the best solution. For example in my house we switch between eco friendly washing up liquid and a leading brand. The eco friendly stuff is crap and we go through a bottle in a week. The branded stuff is much better and lasts about a month or more. Overall the stuff that is worse for the environment is probably a hell of a lot better for it.

Beatricem

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
I live in Chicago
The eco friendly product i use is cleaning with baking soda and vinegar instead of detergents and other cleaners. I now reuse bags. Do you know that you can use soda to wash under your arms and it works better that some deoderants. You can also use soda in the wash to soften water and to help remove oders from your wash.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Can we discuss, who uses what kind of eco friendly product so that we may come across some which we are not aware of so far?

I took an eco-friendly step backward today. After 13 years of mowing my lawn with a reel (push) mower I mowed it for the first time with my new Black & Decker MM875 Lawn Hog 12 Amp 19-Inch Electric Mulching Mower ($199 at Amazon). While I caved into the power of power, at least it's a corded electric mower, so I'm not spewing 2-stroke exhaust into the neighborhood air.

It was like vacuuming my lawn. It took maybe 1/10th the effort of my old mower.

Power is seductive.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I took an eco-friendly step backward today. After 13 years of mowing my lawn with a reel (push) mower I mowed it for the first time with my new Black & Decker MM875 Lawn Hog 12 Amp 19-Inch Electric Mulching Mower ($199 at Amazon). While I caved into the power of power, at least it's a corded electric mower, so I'm not spewing 2-stroke exhaust into the neighborhood air.

It was like vacuuming my lawn. It took maybe 1/10th the effort of my old mower.

Power is seductive.

I didn't even know you could buy two stroke lawn mowers. All I have ever seen all my life are four stroke models.

I recycle a lot of stuff just to reduce usage of a finite supply of resources. I don't buy into the "eco-friendly" products mantra though. If your concern is that you are damaging the environment than anything you do that is more than living naked in the wild foraging for food is bad for the environment as you are taking more resources than a wild animal of the same weight would (even stone tools would have too great an impact).

Even biodegradable plastic eco soap from plants require energy to form into shape, clearing wild habitat for the plants needed, energy to transport, plus all sorts of energy and resources to store, display and fill.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Guyz I saw a video which reflects what we human are doing to the nature and why it has become important for us to start using eco friendly products. I am doing my bit by using eco friendly products in my daily routine, how about urs? Can we discuss, who uses what kind of eco friendly product so that we may come across some which we are not aware of so far?

My recommendation is to not fall into the trap of converting, and tossing stuff you've already bought. Use what you have responsibly, and then replace with more efficient, renewable or friendly products as you run out.

One thing to keep in mind, is that many "green" products really aren't.

I live near Boulder. These people build 4000+ sq. ft. houses, with all new stuff, all of it very eco friendly to be sure, but they had a perfectly good house. With perfectly good stuff in it. By using more resources when they didn't need them, they've been very wasteful, the opposite of green.

I'm using my Mac Mini as a daily driver instead of a Windows box that was just a hog. I've given away a lot of my furniture and am replacing it slowly with better, more sturdy stuff. I'm trying to have meat less than 5 times a week, I'm losing that battle right now, but I'm working on it.

I've never been trendy, which is helpful, so I don't have stuff that doesn't get worn after 6 months or a year or something.

When I do buy stuff, I try to buy stuff that is more easily recyclable. So cardboard boxes instead of plastics, etc. I never drink bottled water, etc.

It's not easy to go green. It can be more costly, and you might have to hunt for better stuff.

I'm way gone. I'm the one that openly harasses co-workers for not recycling when there's a recycling bin only 6' further from the trash can. So don't go nuts. You don't get popular. :)

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
I eat what I kill, sometimes those bits of rubber from the tire tracks are bothersome but nothing goes to waste.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

Might want to check what that volcano is doingto the earth. 100 years worth of human pollution being kicked out of that thing every week.

You could always go and wave a banner at it asking it to stop.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Might want to check what that volcano is doingto the earth. 100 years worth of human pollution being kicked out of that thing every week.

You could always go and wave a banner at it asking it to stop.

Or you could get your facts straight...

The Naked Scientists: Science Radio & Science Podcasts

Q. How much pollution does a volcano produce? I’ve heard that a volcanoes spew out as much pollution as all the cars that have ever been put on Earth combined but how much pollution does a volcano produce when it erupts?

A. This is a very good question and it gives me an opportunity to dispel some of the myths about volcanoes and global warming and pollution. Volcanoes emit CO2 and SO2: carbon dioxide and sulphur dioxide are the main gases that might be construed to cause global warming or pollution. Volcanoes emit around 100,000,000 tonnes of CO2 a year. Compare that to man-made emissions of CO2 which comes to about 10,000,000,000 tonnes of CO2 per year. So volcanoes emit around 1/100th of CO2 that we do and are therefore insignificant in terms of global warming. Sulphur dioxide on the other hand, volcanoes emit around a tenth of the anthropogenic emissions of SO2. That forms regional smog.

Or, if you prefer your sources to be more scholarly, from Oregon State University...

Man Versus the Volcano

Do humans add more gases to the atmosphere or do volcanoes? It's a simple question with a complicated answer. Reaching a good estimate is important in guiding global policy for standards to reduce emissions from man-made sources of gases.

Carbon Dioxide

Present-day carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from subaerial and submarine volcanoes are uncertain at the present time. Gerlach (1991) estimated a total global release of 3-4 x 10E12 mol/yr from volcanoes. While this is a conservative estimate, man-made (anthropogenic) CO2 emissions overwhelm this estimate by at least 150 times.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
We recycle anything and everything we can. We are also pretty cognizant of eliminating unnecessary energy usage, whether it is heat or electricity. As sentient beings, I believe that we should hand over this planet to the next generation just as we inherited it ourselves. Obviously, this is very removed from what is actually happening. Still, one needs to try and preserve what we have.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
I eat what I kill, sometimes those bits of rubber from the tire tracks are bothersome but nothing goes to waste.

:D Nice.

I don't do much. I use Macs! If I had a little more control over what I use/do I may be more "green", but since I'm 15, I don't really know what I can do.

EDIT: I just got an email stating that a thread I had posted in had been replied to. After 3 years of never visiting this site. I have no idea who wrote this, or how, but that was weird. (I have since recovered my account and changed my password.) Note to the person who did it, I would be interested in how.

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Or you could get your facts straight...

The Naked Scientists: Science Radio & Science Podcasts

Q. How much pollution does a volcano produce? I’ve heard that a volcanoes spew out as much pollution as all the cars that have ever been put on Earth combined but how much pollution does a volcano produce when it erupts?

A. This is a very good quest
ion and it gives me an opportunity to dispel some of the myths about volcanoes and global warming and pollution. Volcanoes emit CO2 and SO2: carbon dioxide and sulphur dioxide are the main gases that might be construed to cause global warming or pollution. Volcanoes emit around 100,000,000 tonnes of CO2 a year. Compare that to man-made emissions of CO2 which comes to about 10,000,000,000 tonnes of CO2 per year. So volcanoes emit around 1/100th of CO2 that we do and are therefore insignificant in terms of global warming. Sulphur dioxide on the other hand, volcanoes emit around a tenth of the anthropogenic emissions of SO2. That forms regional smog.

Or, if you prefer your sources to be more scholarly, from Oregon State University...

Man Versus the Volcano

Do humans add more gases to the atmosphere or do volcanoes? It's a simple question with a complicated answer. Reaching a good estimate is important in guiding global policy for standards to reduce emissions from man-made sources of gases.

Carbon Dioxide

Present-day carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from subaerial and submarine volcanoes are uncertain at the present time. Gerlach (1991) estimated a total global release of 3-4 x 10E12 mol/yr from volcanoes. While this is a conservative estimate, man-made (anthropogenic) CO2 emissions overwhelm this estimate by at least 150 times.

very nice but those facts where disputed te other night on tv.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
very nice but those facts where disputed te other night on tv.

This wins btw.

see y'all in the PRSI :D

Otherwise, I like using baking soda as much as possible in place of other products, can't beat a natural cleaner that doesn't leave harsh chemicals around.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

Many eco-friendly products are really regular products which have been re-branded with artificial coloring and scents left off.

For example, I have a bottle of "EcoSense" branded insecticidal soap with a pretty green label (used to kill off little flies that hatch in my plants). However, reading the fine print I see it reads "not intended to imply environmental safety either alone or compared to other products". At least they came out and say it.

Just don't be wasteful of the products you use or use them excessively. The whole eco-products thing is just a BS marketing ploy--don't bother.

Really, the best thing you can do for the environment is to have fewer or no children. That's a whole lifetime of not using *any* toxic products--you can't be more environmentally friendly than simply not existing in the environment.

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
Really, the best thing you can do for the environment is to have fewer or no children. That's a whole lifetime of not using *any* toxic products--you can't be more environmentally friendly than simply not existing in the environment.

Awesome. There really is at least ONE person on this Earth who sees this the way I do.

My wife and I are not having children. Not everyone needs to have 7. Feeding them and taking care of them is a huge responsibility. The overpopulation issue is a very serious concern on this planet, and will become a problem eventually until something happens to thin down the population again.

The least "Green" folks I've met are most Mormons, some Catholics, and some Islamic families, as I've met some with upwards of 12 children. It seems to be programmed into their dogma to have as many thousands of children as biologically possible. Scares me sometimes, we have to feed these people.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
So volcanoes emit around 1/100th of CO2 that we do and are therefore insignificant in terms of global warming.

Interesting, since the Mt. Pinatubo eruption in 1991 singlehandedly lowered global temperatures in 1992 by around 0.5 degrees C.

I guess insignificant in terms of global warming...but very good at global cooling? ;)

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Volcanos vs Humans

From the U.S. Geological Survey...

Gas studies at volcanoes worldwide have helped volcanologists tally up a global volcanic CO2 budget in the same way that nations around the globe have cooperated to determine how much CO2 is released by human activity through the burning of fossil fuels. Our studies show that globally, volcanoes on land and under the sea release a total of about 200 million tonnes of CO2 annually.

This seems like a huge amount of CO2, but a visit to the U.S. Department of Energy's Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (CDIAC) website (http://cdiac.ornl.gov/) helps anyone armed with a handheld calculator and a high school chemistry text put the volcanic CO2 tally into perspective. Because while 200 million tonnes of CO2 is large, the global fossil fuel CO2 emissions for 2003 tipped the scales at 26.8 billion tonnes. Thus, not only does volcanic CO2 not dwarf that of human activity, it actually comprises less than 1 percent of that value.

Volcanoes are still awesome, even though they don't produce CO2 at a rate that swamps the human signature, contributing to global warming. In fact, spectacular eruptions like that of Mount Pinatubo are demonstrated to contribute to global cooling through the injection of solar energy reflecting ash and other small particles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.