Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How long does it take for your FusionDrive iMac to wake from sleep?

• 0-5 sec

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • 5-10 sec

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 10-15 sec

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • More than 15 sec

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Try enabling power nap, that should solve the slow wake up, or try the pmset command I stated earlier in this thread.

did the overnight test with powernap on, and same result. Fans started, HDD spins up and 9 seconds later from pressing spacebar the logon screen appeared.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
No I didn't and because some people on the forum are experiencing the same issue, I ordered a MacBook Pro instead, flash is the way to go I reckon :D
I'm not convinced it's as simple as that. I had a 2011 iMac with a spinner for about 4 years with no issues, and also a MBP with a spinner before I put in a SSD, and it had no issues either.
[doublepost=1453022869][/doublepost]
did the overnight test with powernap on, and same result. Fans started, HDD spins up and 9 seconds later from pressing spacebar the logon screen appeared.
I think my setup is more or less the same as yours, and if I was getting 9 secs on a regular basis, I'd be happy!

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
Ah, Tried the pmset command? Workaround but should make it wake faster.

Disabling deep sleep altogether should resolve the slow wake up, if not. Probably some hardware or other problems.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Ah, Tried the pmset command? Workaround but should make it wake faster.

Disabling deep sleep altogether should resolve the slow wake up, if not. Probably some hardware or other problems.

didn't try it yet, went one step at a time.
if i disable deep sleep, would the HDD stay on all the time, i.e never spin down?

i checked with "pmset -g | grep standbydelay" and i got 10800, meaning 3 hours before deep sleep.

Last edited:

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
didn't try it yet, went one step at a time.
if i disable deep sleep, would the HDD stay on all the time, i.e never spin down?

i checked with "pmset -g | grep standbydelay" and i got 10800, meaning 3 hours before deep sleep.
The hard drive still spins down but the ram keeps its contents so no need to wait for reading back the ram from the sleep image. I'm venturing a guess that it's the re-read of the sleep image that is causing the delay in your case

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Does it do the slow wake up every time you let it sit over night, or just some times?

Did you call apple on this?

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Does it do the slow wake up every time you let it sit over night, or just some times?

Did you call apple on this?

everytime.
no, checked with the community first
[doublepost=1453032564][/doublepost]
The hard drive still spins down but the ram keeps its contents so no need to wait for reading back the ram from the sleep image. I'm venturing a guess that it's the re-read of the sleep image that is causing the delay in your case

yes, same guess. can't be anything else but this.
i realise now the thread title can be a bit misleading. What i meant is, "time to wake up from deep sleep/hibernation, on fusiondrive imacs". Because normal "shallow" sleep is no issue...what happens after the 10800 sec (in my case) is the behavior i'm interested in.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Give them a call, you may find that its either normal or if they say defective, it will be addressed.
As I think I said earlier in this thread, I have been in contact with Applecare on this issue several times now, and they have no answer. It just comes down to the usual 'take it in for investigation/repair' type thing.
I'm pretty sure it's software, as too many people have this issue with the late 2015 iMacs.
With me, it can wake immediately, or take up to 60 seconds. It appears to be random. Weirdly, if I have an external drive plugged in, it always wakes instantly form a deep overnight sleep.
Go figure!
At the moment, I'm testing with the 'put hard drives to sleep when possible' option unchecked.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As I think I said earlier in this thread, I have been in contact with Applecare on this issue several times now, and they have no answer
I saw that, though I wonder if the OP's situation may be different.

All in all, however if the Mac is working as expected, save the slow wakeup in the morning, I'd not be too worried over it. That's why people have AppleCare extended warranties in case things go south a 2 years down the road ;)

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
As I think I said earlier in this thread, I have been in contact with Applecare on this issue several times now, and they have no answer. It just comes down to the usual 'take it in for investigation/repair' type thing.
I'm pretty sure it's software, as too many people have this issue with the late 2015 iMacs.
With me, it can wake immediately, or take up to 60 seconds. It appears to be random. Weirdly, if I have an external drive plugged in, it always wakes instantly form a deep overnight sleep.
Go figure!
At the moment, I'm testing with the 'put hard drives to sleep when possible' option unchecked.

Deep sleep should get disabled if you have USB drives attached so that would answer that :)

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Deep sleep should get disabled if you have USB drives attached so that would answer that :)
Of course, yes, I remember someone else mentioned that to me before. Thanks!
[doublepost=1453036599][/doublepost]
I saw that, though I wonder if the OP's situation may be different.

All in all, however if the Mac is working as expected, save the slow wakeup in the morning, I'd not be too worried over it. That's why people have AppleCare extended warranties in case things go south a 2 years down the road ;)
With all due respect to the OP, I'm not sure he even has a problem if his iMac is waking in 9 secs consistently each time!

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Of course, yes, I remember someone else mentioned that to me before. Thanks!
[doublepost=1453036599][/doublepost]
With all due respect to the OP, I'm not sure he even has a problem if his iMac is waking in 9 secs consistently each time!

it's not 9 sec every time, for sure. Mostly 10-15. Which is ages compared to instant-on when having a SSD-only setup.
Besides, if you look at the votes, they're starting to shape as people either have very fast-on, or very long...

i deleted the hibernate file in /var/vm and pmset hibernation to zero.
i'll check again tomorrow...i know i can accelerate it by modifying the standby time, but i'm lazy now :)

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
it's not 9 sec every time, for sure. Mostly 10-15. Which is ages compared to instant-on when having a SSD-only setup.
Besides, if you look at the votes, they're starting to shape as people either have very fast-on, or very long...

i deleted the hibernate file in /var/vm and pmset hibernation to zero.
i'll check again tomorrow...i know i can accelerate it by modifying the standby time, but i'm lazy now :)
Instant on is not restricted to SSD. As I said earlier in this thread, I had a 2011 iMac which had spinner only, and it always had a 'instant on' wake. Similarly, I had a spinner only MBP which also had a 'instant on'. When I converted both of them to SSD only, they were still 'instant on'.
I am convinced this is a late 2015 iMac issue, and I have tested different pmset values, SMC and NVRAM resets, etc. etc. and nothing has made any difference.
I'm sure it's a OS X thing with late 2015 iMacs, to go along with other issues that seem to be specific to that hardware.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Instant on is not restricted to SSD. As I said earlier in this thread, I had a 2011 iMac which had spinner only, and it always had a 'instant on' wake. Similarly, I had a spinner only MBP which also had a 'instant on'. When I converted both of them to SSD only, they were still 'instant on'.
I am convinced this is a late 2015 iMac issue, and I have tested different pmset values, SMC and NVRAM resets, etc. etc. and nothing has made any difference.
I'm sure it's a OS X thing with late 2015 iMacs, to go along with other issues that seem to be specific to that hardware.

i can only relate to late '15 5K iMac (2TB Fusion) and late '13 rMBPro (SSD only) and the differences in wake times are huge...

i found this article, interesting read about general sleep/deep sleep/hibernation modes:
http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-hibernate-a-mac--cms-23235

and another thread here that i can sometimes relate to (dbl tapping kbd)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-2012-wake-from-sleep-issues.1529750/

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
i can only relate to late '15 5K iMac (2TB Fusion) and late '13 rMBPro (SSD only) and the differences in wake times are huge...

i found this article, interesting read about general sleep/deep sleep/hibernation modes:
http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-hibernate-a-mac--cms-23235
That's what I'm saying. It relates completely to late 2015 iMacs!
I've seen that article and many others on the subject, and as I said above, I have tried everything over the last few weeks, and nothing has made a difference.
I'm currently testing with not allowing hard disks to sleep option.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
That's what I'm saying. It relates completely to late 2015 iMacs!
I've seen that article and many others on the subject, and as I said above, I have tried everything over the last few weeks, and nothing has made a difference.
I'm currently testing with not allowing hard disks to sleep option.

did you disable all standby/hibernate boolean values with pmset?
pls post here output of your "pmset -g"

mine is:

Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:

standby 1
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 0
halfdim 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
powernap 0
gpuswitch 2
autorestart 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 1
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 10
standbydelay 10800

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
did you disable all standby/hibernate boolean values with pmset?
pls post here output of your "pmset -g"

mine is:

Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:

standby 1
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 0
halfdim 1
powernap 0
gpuswitch 2
autorestart 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 1
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 10
standbydelay 10800
I did try disabling the standby values, and tbh, I can't remember if it made a difference or not. I don't think it did. However, the point is that we shouldn't have to be disabling facilities in OS X with brand new iMacs!
My values are:
Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
standby 1
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 1
halfdim 1
powernap 0
gpuswitch 2
autorestart 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 0
sleep 10
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 10
standby delay 10800
So, pretty much the same, really. Only real difference is that I have disksleep off as I am testing that for a few days.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
just woke it up now since my last post, more than 3 hrs. Same effect, heard the disk starting to spin and took about 6-7 sec to light up the screen (kind of slight backlight) and another 2-3 to login screen.

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
just woke it up now since my last post, more than 3 hrs. Same effect, heard the disk starting to spin and took about 6-7 sec to light up the screen (kind of slight backlight) and another 2-3 to login screen.

I know that the standby value should be set out of effect when having hibernate set to 0, but could you check with standby set typ 0 as well? (sudo pmset -a standby 0)

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
I know that the standby value should be set out of effect when having hibernate set to 0, but could you check with standby set typ 0 as well? (sudo pmset -a standby 0)
From the manual, hibernatemode defaults to 0 for desktops, and the system wakes from memory, not from a disk image. So, does this not make the whole debate about reading from spinning drives irrelevant?

SAFE SLEEP ARGUMENTS
hibernatemode takes a bitfield argument defining SafeSleep behavior. Passing 0 disables SafeSleep alto-gether, altogether,
gether, forcing the computer into a regular sleep.

____ ___1 (bit 0) enables hibernation; causes OS X to write memory state to hibernation image at sleep
time. On wake (without bit 1 set) OS X will resume from the hibernation image. Bit 0 set (without bit 1
set) causes OS X to write memory state and immediately hibernate at sleep time.

____ __1_ (bit 1), in conjunction with bit 0, causes OS X to maintain system state in memory and leave
system power on until battery level drops below a near empty threshold (This enables quicker wakeup
from memory while battery power is available). Upon nearly emptying the battery, OS X shuts off all
system power and hibernates; on wake the system will resume from hibernation image, not from memory.

____ 1___ (bit 3) encourages the dynamic pager to page out inactive pages prior to hibernation, for a
smaller memory footprint.

___1 ____ (bit 4) encourages the dynamic pager to page out more aggressively prior to hibernation, for
a smaller memory footprint.

We do not recommend modifying hibernation settings. Any changes you make are not supported. If you
choose to do so anyway, we recommend using one of these three settings. For your sake and mine, please
don't use anything other 0, 3, or 25.

hibernatemode = 0 (binary 0000) by default on supported desktops. The system will not back memory up to
persistent storage. The system must wake from the contents of memory; the system will lose context on
power loss. This is, historically, plain old sleep.

hibernatemode = 3 (binary 0011) by default on supported portables. The system will store a copy of mem-ory memory
ory to persistent storage (the disk), and will power memory during sleep. The system will wake from
memory, unless a power loss forces it to restore from disk image.

hibernatemode = 25 (binary 0001 1001) is only settable via pmset. The system will store a copy of mem-ory memory
ory to persistent storage (the disk), and will remove power to memory. The system will restore from
disk image. If you want "hibernation" - slower sleeps, slower wakes, and better battery life, you
should use this setting.

Please note that hibernatefile may only point to a file located on the root volume.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
From the manual, hibernatemode defaults to 0 for desktops, and the system wakes from memory, not from a disk image. So, does this not make the whole debate about reading from spinning drives irrelevant?

yes, default supported setting for desktops is 0 with no image dump to hdd. But obviously this does not work as expected...

in my case, i can't think of anything else as cause, except long wakes are due to waiting for drive to spin up and restore image. Never had this issue with SSD only setup in rMBPro.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Why do you say that? I'm confused!

isn't it? or is it "3"?
from what i read, 3 should have the same behavior as 0, unless the machine loses power and therefore memory is dead and needs to restore from disk.

edit: i think it's 3, because i overwrote it with bogg's 0 setting yesterday and thought that's default
interesting, i just checked my sleepimage in /private/var/vm and it's 4GB, even though my RAM is 8GB in size

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.