Time until Maps are fixed on iOS 6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by andymac2210, Sep 21, 2012.

1. andymac2210 macrumors regular

Time until they fix JUST the bad location info with the maps they already have - 6 months - 1 year.

Time until they add in even 1/4 of the points of interest google has - 1 year minimum.

Time until they get decent satellite imagery - 3 - 4 years

They had 3 years lead time with this and released this atrocity as something they called 'great' at keynotes.

If this is Apples' new idea of 'great' I'd hate to see their idea of bad.

2. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

To be fair, they got mapping data from TomTom. In my experience, TomTom sucks.

It really doesn't seem that bad in my area. There are some inconsistencies, but the graphics look much nicer than before. I'll survive. And if not, there are a million third-party mapping apps.

3. andymac2210 thread starter macrumors regular

They got the satellite images from tom tom?

3rd party apps are useless for turn by turn and finding your way to places.

I don't know why they don't just pull points of interest from Yelp! so we can at least navigate to places we find with Siri.
    Not to mention there's no public transportation info.

4. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

Not sure exactly what they got from TomTom -- but I know every TomTom GPS I've seen or used totally sucks. Has you arrive on the wrong side of things, usually has outdated info, and the hardware is mostly ****. I know part of Apple's data came from them.

Can't comment on the usefulness of third party -- I've never tried any. My coworkers are all big fans of the Mapquest app, though. Most of them used that before iOS 6.

5. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

That's why I have a gs3. Google maps is awesome with the gs3 horsepower behind it. I've gotten myself out of some tight places!