Time Warner considering HBOGO standalone

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2010mini, Sep 12, 2014.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

The CEO of Time Warner says HBOGO without a cable subscription is a possibility.

http://gizmodo.com/hbo-is-seriously-considering-offering-hbo-go-without-1633899777

2. dbanderson1 macrumors member

AT&T Promotion (Current)

I just moved to TX so I was comparing internet packages. After looking at prices I found AT&T was the cheapest... while signing up on the page I noticed one of their current bundles. It gives you their 18 meg internet for 5 dollars cheaper than their advertised price and gives U-basic (which is just local channels) and HBO go for 39.99/mo. I didn't really want U-basic, but the u-verse apps allow you to stream live TV on your phone/ipad and are a nice compliment to HBO GO and Netflix.

So while no standalone option exists, you may be able to get the cheapest bundle w/ HBO and still get a decent deal.

3. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

getting HBO without a cable subscription is every cord cutter's wet dream

4. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

Still possible without a subscription. *snickers*

5. EOB macrumors regular

Honestly HBO sucks, Comcast even gave me 2 years of free HBO when i tried to remove the free promotional HBO subscription after it expired. I found myself using HBO Go only for GoT, but now that Amazon Instant has all HBO shows ever created. I have no intention on ever getting HBO Go if it ever goes stand-a-alone.

6. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

Amazon is at least 3 years behind, it's part of their deal. And don't expect popular shows like Game of Thrones to appear after 3 years, if at all.
    http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/23/a...ows-only-streams-them-3-years-after-they-air/

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

@vellarses - did you read the post right above yours?

8. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Amazon Instant does NOT have every HBO show ever created. So much for the facts...

9. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

They've been leaving a hell of a lot of money and subscribers on the table while these vapid corporate suits twaddle their thumbs.

----------

You're not a huge HBO fan, we get it. I will call the Whaaaambulance.

10. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Until they find out that it's priced that way (which is not the price the person asking the question made up, nor around the price of HBO in current cable or satt packages). My guess: multiply what you can pay to get HBO within a cable/satt package by about 2.5 to 3.5. That would probably be where the pricing of an al-a-carte subscription to just HBO would land. That just a guess of course, but no one should have any concept that it would cost about the same as it costs to add it on in a cable/satt bundle (note how the HBO executive in the article didn't actually say anything about pricing).

11. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

Yup, they aren't going to do this and then charge $17 or whatever it costs with a cable subscription. Expect $30 minimum.