Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
We moved 2 years ago and our promotional internet rate just expired and our bill went up from $45 to $69 a month. My wife tried calling and seeing if she can get it lower again but no luck.

Has anyone had luck with Time Warner and lowering their bill?

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Yes, I've had TWC cable & internet for years and every 12 months it's always the same thing. My bill jumps 25% and I have to call them. They will start with this BS trying to make it seem like they're doing you a favor by lowering your bill by 10 bucks. Over the years, I've found that threatening to cancel your service all together, unless they give you the same rate as before, works. Although, if they actually start the cancellation process, I would call back some other time.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
I used to be able to call and lower it but have not had any luck lately. My bill went from 80 to 105 because a promo expired. Called to get it lower and they said I still have a promo, my bill is supposed to be 145! Anyways, I will be getting Ooma to ditch the phone part of the bill and buying my own modem/router to save the 10 rental fee that goes up a dollar every 6 months.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
We moved 2 years ago and our promotional internet rate just expired and our bill went up from $45 to $69 a month. My wife tried calling and seeing if she can get it lower again but no luck.

No you just weren't forceful enough. Call, say the price you were paying was acceptable, but you won't pay the rate. When they say "sorry lolTimeWarnee" you say ok I'm going to cancel my service. They transfer you to the retention line, you tell them the same thing. I can afford to pay this price for this level of service and if they can't do that you say ok go ahead and cancel the service. You just need to be willing to go through with it, but in my experience they always capitulate.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
Hmm I've been paying full retail on my Time Warner internet for a couple years now since my promo expired, and I have also called and asked for another promo and was denied. But things might be changing now that Charter has taken over...I asked over chat a couple days ago and they scheduled a call back from customer service. They called me right on time and I spoke to a really friendly rep who had no problem offering me the promotional rate which was $20 off per month. I ended up dropping from 300 to 100 mbps with the new promo rate and now my bill is $40 less per month. I asked her about the takeover and she said Charter is much more customer-oriented than Time Warner, they are working to improve customer service, they've quit outsourcing overseas so now all the phone reps are based here in the US...sounds great but time will tell. She did say however that you must be eligible for promotions based on account history, and it you are it will automatically show available promos in the computer. In my case I've never had a late payment which apparently looks good on their end. Overall I was impressed.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I canceled and signed up again with them 6 months later for a lower rate. It helped that the internet connection is located at a seasonal property where I don't require internet during the winter :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.