Time Warner Not Free For Long

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by blevins321, Apr 1, 2011.

1. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Anyone else get this email last night? I have the funny feeling that Time Warner will have to up their broadcaster payments, and that this app might enter subscription pricing mode. Not surprised. I'm sure they saw this coming and lured people in with a short free period.

As you know, since launching our TWCable TV App for iPad on March 15th, you and hundreds of thousands of other Time Warner Cable customers have enjoyed the flexibility and freedom of being able to turn any room in your house into a TV room by using your iPad.

And, while most TV network owners agree with us that this is a great convenience for our customers and their viewers, a few networks disagree. As a result, for the time being, we have decided to focus our iPad efforts on other enlightened programmers who understand the benefit and importance of allowing our subscribers – and their viewers – to watch their programming on any screen in their homes.

Unfortunately, that means that channels from network groups Discovery Communications, Fox Cable, and Viacom will be removed from your iPad lineup, effective immediately.

• Discovery channels: Animal Planet, Discovery, TLC
    • Fox channels: FX, National Geographic
    • Viacom channels: BET, CMT, Comedy, MTV, Nickelodeon, Spike, VH1

This means that you will temporarily have a new lineup on your iPad consisting of the following channels:

A&E E! HLN
    ABC Family Food Network Lifetime Movie Network
    AMC Fox News MSNBC
    Bravo Galavision SyFy
    CNBC Hallmark Channel Travel Channel
    CNN HGTV USA
    Disney Channel History

We will be providing replacement channels as quickly as we can, perhaps as early as tomorrow. You won't need to change anything or update your App in any way to receive these or the additional channels.

In the meantime, we will pursue all of our legal rights against the programmers who don't share our vision. Your enthusiasm, and the enthusiasm of the programming partners who have embraced the App - rather than those who are solely focused on finding additional ways to reach into wallets of their own viewers - has convinced us more than ever that we are on the right path. We will continue to fight to ensure that you have access to the content you pay for, no matter which screen in your home you choose to view it on.

For up-to-the-minute information on what's happening, please visit:
    www.IWantMyTWCableTVApp.com.

Why are these channels going away from the TWCable TV App for iPad?
    Unfortunately, the owners of those channels don't yet share our vision for making it easy for consumers to view the content they've already paid for on different screens within the home. We would rather use our technical resources to distribute the channels of programmers who agree that their content should be seen on any screen inside your home, while we pursue legal solutions that would let us continue deploying this Application.

Will other channels be put up in their place?
    We're working to add new channels to the lineup as quickly as possible.

Will more channels be dropped?
    At this time, we don't expect any additional TV network owners to to demand that we remove their channels from the iPad App.

Why didn't Time Warner Cable anticipate this before launching the iPad App?
    We firmly believe that this App is no different than delivering our signals to another TV in the home, and are surprised and disappointed that some TV networks see it differently.

2. blevins321 thread starter macrumors 68030

Almost forgot - This is in their FAQS:

Question:
    How much does the TWCable TV iPad application cost?
    Answer:

The TWCable TV iPad application is free to download from the App Store within Tunes. At this time, there is no monthly charge for Standard/Expanded Basic video or higher customers to access the application.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is already being discussed but frankly TWC tried to do something good for once. I find the company to be borderline predatory with their contract management to their pricing. However, this is a clear sign that the TV networks are controlling them on this. TWC wanted to provide content and believed that their subscribers should be able to watch TV regardless of where they're at in their own home. Networks aren't going to allow this because it means more for the same money they're already getting. It's ******** at its finest. If TWC charges for the app then I won't use it. It was a nice to have but it is hardly something I cannot live without.

I pay a lot more for cable/phone/internet than I should. I'm not giving them another dollar.

4. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

you're paying more because Ad revenues are sharply down due to "free" online content. Live channel streaming needs to be paid or EVERYONE's cable bill will go up. What really needs to happen is "live" cable TV subscriptions and all "On Demand" Streaming option where shows are made available next day for online streaming iPad/Computer/ETC and in a paid model. You wonder why a lot of shows get cancelled early? They're too expensive to be given a chance. The industry has yet to come to terms with the new market and create sustainable balance. We're at the point where that is starting to happen.

5. aperry macrumors 6502a

I don't have Time Warner, but I assumed this live streaming included commercials. If so, then why is this a problem for the networks? They're getting the same revenue and the same reach (given only Time Warner customers can stream). Did I also read somewhere that TWC somehow constrained the streaming to people's home IP addresses?

Maybe I'm wrong, I honestly haven't been keeping up with it. But if I'm right then all I can say is that this is the kind of thing that gives me more sympathy for people who pirate these shows. These network disputes seem totally unnecessary to me.

6. blevins321 thread starter macrumors 68030

You're exactly right. It was a purely live stream; no pausing or fast forwarding. You could change channels, sure, but no DVR features. And yes, it's restricted to Wifi originating from a Roadrunner internet connection.

7. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

The thing is they can't currently get ratings or viewer data for streaming since they rely on Nielsen's outdated collection methods. Those #s could boost the $ they charge advertisers but right now they don't have access to them, so the C&D is so Time Warner will pay them more for streaming rights to offset the cost of not being able to factor streaming customers into the Ad costs they charge businesses.

8. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

TWC blows

I'm switching if they pull this crap

9. aperry macrumors 6502a

This is about Nielsen ratings collection? What data can they collect with a cable box that they can't collect using IP?

10. goMac macrumors 603

How is this TWC's fault?

11. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Nielsen installs boxes in people's homes to collect data. Not EVERYONE's home, but only people that they pay a modest fee and have permission to monitor their viewing habits 24/7. They get representative samples from all major and minor markets, races, ethic groups, etc, and extrapolate viewership for the entire country.

They do not have a system in place for IP monitoring. They just started including DVR views (time-shifted viewing as they call it) no more than 2 yrs ago.

You're totally right that this data could be gotten elsewhere but Nielsen has a monopoly on the TV ratings market and they're all locked in contract.

The entire ratings system being broken is the reason for all this mess. Ratings = Ad $ = Keeping shows on the air and networks in business. If you can't get ratings the whole thing collapses.

12. Ltnluv23 macrumors member

Ugh you do realize that this isn't TWC's fault right? If anything they are against it, and will be following suit against FOX. I subscribe to DirecTV, but it infuriates me that Fox is pulling this crap on TWC, who is doing right by their customers by letting them watch they pay for, simply on a different device. This isn't that much different than a Sling player, except it's a free app.

I hope TWC gets their ish together and wins this case. Fox needs to get with the times, and realize Televisions aren't the only form of watching content anymore.

13. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Until they have an effective way of getting ratings from stream-enabled devices and factoring into overall ratings, we're all ****ed.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As much as I dislike TWC and their practices, this issue has nothing to do with them and shouldn't be blamed on them. An update about the channel lineup. Not super but 20 more channels is 20 more channels. Even if some suck.

Attached Files:

15. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Time Warner Cable is a complete rip off.
    In the past 20 yrs their subscription price for standard cable has more than quadrupled. My paycheck sure hasn't quadrupled.
    I wish there was another game in town for where I live but alas, they have a monopoly and sat-tv antennas are not allowed in my neighborhood. :mad::mad::mad: