Time Warner removes channels from iPad app.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by deannnnn, Mar 31, 2011.

1. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Just got this e-mail from Time Warner. They're removing all channels from Discovery, Fox, and Viacom. Great.

[​IMG]

See the rest of the e-mail here.

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

Simply greedy by the entertainment TV industry. They are desperately trying to protect their turf. They don't want to lose control of distribution rights.

For once, I am siding with cable industry. Time warner already severely restricted iPad use (only can be use inside one's home with time warner Internet and cable). What more does the industry want?

3. deannnnn thread starter macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I agree. The app is just about useless at this point, I was hoping it would become more useful as time goes on, not less... and I work in the TV industry.

(Okay, I'm just an intern, but still.)

4. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I think the app still has a great deal of value, even with some of the channels in dispute.

This is a great step forward in the "post television era" where many of us watch TV without owning a TV set.

Essentially, those channels that opted out have told consumers that, "we're not relevant anymore, go find a substitute channel for entertainment." If I want to sit out on the lanai and watch something, do they really think I'm going to set the iPad down, go inside, and turn on a TV?

Now if only TWC would get the App working in Hawaii...

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There are a few channels I still love (History, HGTV, & SyFy) but I saw this unfolding the other day and today my channels were gone. With as much as I pay this is all about the greedy little industry ****wits.