Time Warner Roadrunner help! Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lacereza, Aug 11, 2008.

1. lacereza macrumors regular

I am at my wit´s end. I´ve been trying to connect my Airport Express to the net through my TWC modem for four days, and it's just not happening. The setup assistant is asking for a DNS server, a domain name, and a client ID, but the tech support people -- four of them! -- haven't been able to tell me what they are.

I'm also unsure about whether it should be in bridge mode or the other option. I'd call the Apple support line, but the exorbitant cell phone costs here make me wary!

Can anyone please, please, please help me? Anyone else managed to get it going with this sily company? I feel so stupid, I've set up my Airport at home (Australia) twice without any trouble at all.

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Connect your Mac to your Cable modem via ethernet and check 'Network Preferences'.

[​IMG]
    I found DNS information by connecting my Mac to my cable modem via Ethernet.

[​IMG]
    After I know Ethernet information, I'll input that into Airport preferences.

Try it out with just those two pieces of information.

I have Time Warner over here in Hawaii, but personally, have never been able to succeed with getting it to work with my Airport Express Wireless-N base station.

Hopefully this helps you find your information. Let me know if it works for you, and maybe you can help me too. Best of luck :).

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

You can also use the 4.2.2.2/4.2.2.1 DNS servers, or the ones posted at Open DNS: 208.67.222.222/208.67.220.220.

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is OpenDNS, and where are these addresses posted?

Much appreciated :)

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Open DNS is a free service that replaces your DNS Servers from your ISP with faster more secure servers. You can find out more about them at their web site:

http://www.opendns.com/

If you are having DNS issues this can be an easy solution...

6. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks for that helpful advice. After resetting the Airport and clicking through the assistant inputting no IP/DNS/Client ID data I've now got internet up and running on my computer but the amber light is flashing, and the wireless connection isn't showing up in my flatmates' list of available wifi connections. When I go into Airport Utility it tells me that my Airport doesn't have a valid IP address, but says nothing about where you would input this.

I've checked, it's not set to be invisible or anything. Can anyone help?

7. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

8. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I've done this with both an Express and a Time Capsule, on Time Warner and I don't remember having put in any numbers. It just worked.

9. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Geez that is a tough one. I have TWC here but am connecting use a simple Linksys router. Absolutely no problems from the beginning.
    I have the same type of settings as winninganthem.

10. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It sounds like you have your Mac connected to the cable modem, instead of your Airport. THats why you can get connected to the internet, but your Airport can't.

Normally, you would connect your Airport to the Cable modem, and your mac to the Airport wirelessly.

You should NOT be using bridge mode.

11. savvos macrumors regular

Was the Time Warner Cable connection initially set up on your Mac? When I got service from them, I had them hook it up to my PowerBook initially, then entered the addresses from my Mac into my D-Link Router (which I then hooked up to the cable internet box) to basically make Time Warner think my router was my PowerBook and from then on I was dealing with all of D-Link's peculiarities and not Time Warner's.