Time zones incorrect on iPhone. Anyone else having this problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rybold, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

There was a thread a few weeks ago that the Stocks App that comes on the iPhone was showing incorrect data for stock quotes. Now, I'm noticing incorrect data for the time zones! :confused:
    Notice that the iPhone shows 12:29am in Los Angeles (which is true), but shows 7:29am in London (should be 8:29am).

UPDATE: READ POST #5 BELOW TO FIND OUT WHERE THE PERCEIVED ERROR OCCURRED.

[​IMG]
    http://www.mapsofworld.com/time-zone-map/world.htm

Attached Files:

2. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I discovered the error ... perhaps?

"GMT / UTC is wrong!
    UTC - Universal Coordinated Time - is the standard time zone, which the other time zones are based upon. It never observes daylight saving time. The local time in Great Britain in the winter is called GMT, and based upon UTC - but in the summer, Great Britain is not on GMT, but one hour ahead, on British Summer Time. So if you are looking for/comparing with time in Great Britain, please use London as your reference, and not UTC." http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/problems.html

But wait. If both Los Angeles and London are on daylight savings time, then both should be showing up as an eight hour difference. Is the phone wrong? Is there something here that I'm simply not seeing correctly??? :confused:

3. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

So, I think I've found the problem now. If you start at GMT and start moving to the left, everything
    makes sense until you get to GMT-4 and GMT-5. Both are showing the same times, and everything
    to the left is off by an hour. What is going on? Are we experiencing a time change? Also, notice
    that many times have "DST" (daylight savings time) in yellow next to them, and others don't. So, if
    we consider that "official GMT" never experiences daylight savings time but the U.S. does, then we
    are one hour ahead of what GMT-8 would be. Okay, that makes sense. Then, the only way to
    explain London would be that London simply does not observe daylight savings time. Is that true?
    Is there anyone living in London right now that is reading this? Does your country not observe DST?

http://www.worldtimezone.com/
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

its 8:46 now, we are now on GMT

5. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Okay, I just figured it out. Different countries begin and end daylight savings time (DST) on different dates. So, London just ended DST, but the USA will not end DST until next weekend. Problem solved. !!!! :D:D:D:D:D

6. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

You might have already seen this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_around_the_world

UK changes the last sunday in march and last sunday in october

7. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

8. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Lol DST is so frustrating for people that have to figure out time zones.

Except I must mention that here in Australia, I went to Queensland where they dont have DST, and when I landed back in Melbourne, where we do have DST, as soon as my iPhone picked up signal the time automatically changed, which I thought was pretty cool.

9. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Holy crap you had nothing to do today?!?!?!? :p

Glad you figured it out though. I was talking to my cousin in Mexico City and I realized they had already switched time back (minus 1hr). :cool: