Time Zones

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bulldog3777, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

I recently traveled into another time zone and did not have my Iphone with me. I previously lost an Iphone while traveling so I bought a burner phone for travel. I assume the watch will not recognize a different time zone with out the Iphone, correct?

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I wasn't able to figure out how to change the watch's time independently, either. I didn't even realize it until I got on a flight and wanted to set the watch to my destination time.

A workaround would be to set a complication to a different time zone (although this probably needs to be done with the phone) and choose it when you've arrived. Then, you know how you can have a version of the XL face with a large-sized complication in the middle? Maybe you can put the alternate time zone there.

3. Bulldog3777 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hasn't anyone customized the watch to put the time zones in the lower right as it shows on a Youtube video I watched? The video does not show how to do it.

4. Bulldog3777 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the original Apple watch which does not have GPS. Could that be the reason the time zones do not show up?

5. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Which video?

Does it show a complication with a different time zone?

I put three time zones in my Utility face across the bottom. See what I wrote in my earlier post.

I don't have my AW on at the moment; I'll try to remember to check again when I get home. I'll experiment by switching it to Airplane Mode to ensure it won't re-sync with the phone.

6. Bulldog3777 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

(going by memory here)

I've got several time zones set up in World Clock in the phone's Clock app.

They're all accessible on the Watch as a complication. When you customize a face, select a complication position and scroll down to World Clock. The different time zones are grouped together towards the bottom of the list.

#5 here talks briefly about complications:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205536

I think I used the AW app on the phone to rename some of the alternate time zones to what I wanted, like "GMT" for London time, etc.

But like I said before, though, I don't think there's a way to create and show a brand new time zone on the AW itself, or to change the watch's location (and, thus, its displayed time) in AW's native Settings. For example, here in the US, I have Eastern, Central, and Pacific times set in my phone, but no Mountain time. I don't think I'd be able to set my AW to Mountain time without the help of my phone (which would pick up Mountain time if I fly into Denver, Colorado).

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

To continue from the above post --

No, I can't find a way to change the watch's time zone to one that hasn't already been made available on the Clock app on the phone.

Here's mine. In World Clock, I have several cities:
    [​IMG]

I can change their abbreviated names in Watch app -> Clock -> City Abbreviations:
    [​IMG]

I can then set them as Complications on a face on the Watch:
    [​IMG]

I mentioned the XL watch face. This is how it looks with another time zone as the big central complication:
    [​IMG]