TimeCapsule and New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rfccw, May 11, 2010.

1. rfccw macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, This is my first Mac and I bought a Macbookpro as well as a timecapsul since I needed a new router anyways. Well I would like to take my Itunes library from my desktop pc, put it on the TimeCapsule (leaving it on pc also), and be able to access it over my wifi in my house with the new macbook as to not take up space on the macbook's hd. How can I go about doing this? And once I do it, is it easy to update with new songs/ect.? Thanks for the help.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You can use the TC as a you would any other external hard drive. If you copy your iTunes library to the TC and then change the setting within iTunes > Preferences > Advanced to the iTunes media location to the TC location.

3. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Library

If you are going to leave your library on your PC you could just enable sharing in iTunes and save the TC space, but your PC would have to be on for this to work.

4. rfccw thread starter macrumors newbie

I went on the pc and did the organize library or whatever it was to copy everything over to the TC. But when I was opening itunes on the MacBookPro i tried to direct the library to that folder on the tc and it didnt do anything. So, I hit add folder to library and directed it to that folder on the TC. It looks like it is adding the songs but is that actually moving the files to the Mac?

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

That will depend on the default music location that you have set within iTunes on your mac. Yours should look something like this, but obviously referring to the location on the Time Capsule:

[​IMG]

6. rfccw thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, thats what I have it set up like. I just thought when I did that it would see the library but I had to do the " add file to library" and it took awhile to compile everything then loaded my library. I turned off the airport and tried to play a song and it said it couldnt find the TC so I know its pulling from the TC instead of storing the music on the MBP.