Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I have used TimeMachinEditor to program my mid 2011 Mac-Mini to backup every Monday at 3 am. My mac-mini is always powered on but in sleep mode. I have the latest Airport Extreme (the model with AC wireless speed) connected to an external hard disk. I would like to know if TimeMachine will perform this backup while in sleep mode.

Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Time Machine will not run while system is in sleep mode, but TimeMachineEditor will run TM as soon as the system wakes from Sleep and it detects a missed schedule. So in reality your TM backups would be made somewhat later every Monday morning.

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Time Machine will not run while system is in sleep mode, but TimeMachineEditor will run TM as soon as the system wakes from Sleep and it detects a missed schedule. So in reality your TM backups would be made somewhat later every Monday morning.
Thanks for your reply.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have used TimeMachinEditor to program my mid 2011 Mac-Mini to backup every Monday at 3 am. My mac-mini is always powered on but in sleep mode. I have the latest Airport Extreme (the model with AC wireless speed) connected to an external hard disk. I would like to know if TimeMachine will perform this backup while in sleep mode.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204032

Newer Mac with Powernap will backup while alseep, but your is one year short of having that feature. What you could do is use the Schedule... option there to have it wake up at 3AM so the backup would occur when you are not around.

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 9.13.14 AM.png

Reactions: 997440
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.