TimeCapsule... dead?!?! Help please :(

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rexone, Apr 13, 2014.

1. rexone macrumors regular

Lake Weyba on the sub-tropical Sunshine Coast :)
    Our iTunes library & other stuff are on a 2TB Time Capsule (4th Gen) connected to most things via ethernet. It works as our router too.

Last night I was listening to some tunes while loading some up & was about to synch my phone when iTunes hung & I got a 'server disconected' message.
    As it was late I left it & switched everything off.
    This morning... we have network & internet fine but no Time Capsule disc (it's set to mount at start-up).

AirPort Utility very helpfully tells me that 'Internal disc needs repair' but offers no advice on how to do anything.
    I can't get the disc to mount, I can't see it in Finder, I can't see it in Disc Utility.

I bought DiscWarrior as I read a lot of reports on how good it is on external discs. That was a waste of $100+ as it won't see the disc either.

I do have a back-up of the Time Capsule but it's about 3 weeks old so I will lose heaps of music & recorded TV etc if it tanks totally.

Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

I'm prettty darn cranky as this thing is only about 18-months old. :mad:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

None of those utilities like Disk Warrior or even Disk Utility will work in a networked drive like that. The best you hope for is to tear open the Time Capsule and put that drive in a USB enclosure and see if you can resurrect something that way.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Good point! I forgot that the TC's drive is a remote mount; it is not a direct part of the Mac file system.

If opening a TC to take out the drive, put back in a larger drive like 3TB or 4TB and reformat it. I think only the new taller TCs can accept a 4TB drive.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You must remove the drive to use a disk program like Disk Warrior or Disk Utility...

Do you have AppleCare on any of your devices like a Mac or Apple TV? If so, then the Time Capsule is covered...

5. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

The 4th Gen ones were also sold in a 3TB version, so you would be able to upgrade to at least 3TB.
    You need to make sure the drive is a low power one for the PSU though.

Barney