Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Our iTunes library & other stuff are on a 2TB Time Capsule (4th Gen) connected to most things via ethernet. It works as our router too.

Last night I was listening to some tunes while loading some up & was about to synch my phone when iTunes hung & I got a 'server disconected' message.
As it was late I left it & switched everything off.
This morning... we have network & internet fine but no Time Capsule disc (it's set to mount at start-up).

AirPort Utility very helpfully tells me that 'Internal disc needs repair' but offers no advice on how to do anything.
I can't get the disc to mount, I can't see it in Finder, I can't see it in Disc Utility.

I bought DiscWarrior as I read a lot of reports on how good it is on external discs. That was a waste of $100+ as it won't see the disc either.

I do have a back-up of the Time Capsule but it's about 3 weeks old so I will lose heaps of music & recorded TV etc if it tanks totally.

Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

I'm prettty darn cranky as this thing is only about 18-months old. :mad:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
None of those utilities like Disk Warrior or even Disk Utility will work in a networked drive like that. The best you hope for is to tear open the Time Capsule and put that drive in a USB enclosure and see if you can resurrect something that way.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Good point! I forgot that the TC's drive is a remote mount; it is not a direct part of the Mac file system.

If opening a TC to take out the drive, put back in a larger drive like 3TB or 4TB and reformat it. I think only the new taller TCs can accept a 4TB drive.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Our iTunes library & other stuff are on a 2TB Time Capsule (4th Gen) connected to most things via ethernet. It works as our router too.

Last night I was listening to some tunes while loading some up & was about to synch my phone when iTunes hung & I got a 'server disconected' message.
As it was late I left it & switched everything off.
This morning... we have network & internet fine but no Time Capsule disc (it's set to mount at start-up).

AirPort Utility very helpfully tells me that 'Internal disc needs repair' but offers no advice on how to do anything.
I can't get the disc to mount, I can't see it in Finder, I can't see it in Disc Utility.

I bought DiscWarrior as I read a lot of reports on how good it is on external discs. That was a waste of $100+ as it won't see the disc either.

I do have a back-up of the Time Capsule but it's about 3 weeks old so I will lose heaps of music & recorded TV etc if it tanks totally.

Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

I'm prettty darn cranky as this thing is only about 18-months old. :mad:

You must remove the drive to use a disk program like Disk Warrior or Disk Utility...

Do you have AppleCare on any of your devices like a Mac or Apple TV? If so, then the Time Capsule is covered...

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
If opening a TC to take out the drive, put back in a larger drive like 3TB or 4TB and reformat it. I think only the new taller TCs can accept a 4TB drive.

The 4th Gen ones were also sold in a 3TB version, so you would be able to upgrade to at least 3TB.
You need to make sure the drive is a low power one for the PSU though.

Barney

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.