TimeCapsule Hard Drive Broke - Replace in U.S. or London?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ghileman, Sep 29, 2010.

1. ghileman macrumors regular

I'm moving in about a week to London for the next 3-4 years. I'm wondering if I should haul my broken Time Capsule to London and have it replaced there instead of getting another one in the U.S.?

The reason for the London switch would be that I'd get a proper plug-in. Also, I'm wondering if my U.S. device is approved for transmitting wirelessly in the U.K.?

Can anyone think of a disadvantage to getting a UK model?

Thanks.

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

I think it depends on whether you want all your documents to be changed to using 'colour', 'neighbour', 'centre' 'loo', etc or sticking with the wrong spelling. :D

Serioulsy.... repair in the US will ensure you get exactly what you have now. But it may not be easily compatible to the UK standards. Repair in London probably ensures you get some something that works in the UK. Plus will change all your words to the correct spelling.

3. ghileman thread starter macrumors regular

Apple Genius Bar already said they would just replace my TimeCapsule with a new one, so I'd get the UK model if I do the replacement in London.

4. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

That depends; I had a TC purchased in the US which broke down, and when I had Apple replace it, they specifically send me back a US model. the difference lies in the WiFi part which is unique in the US vs. Europe. Basically this should be true for any transmitting device.

So, i'd get it fixed in the US, as otherwise you may be in for a wait in the UK. I waited two weeks.

Rgds,

KB

5. ghileman thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. Thanks.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Apple Genius Bar already said they would just replace my TimeCapsule with a new one, so I'd get the UK model if I do the replacement in London."

The IMPORTANT QUESTION to be asking is:
    "Will the warranty still be valid in London?"

You might be able to get it replaced here for free.

But -- get "over there", and they'll say, "no deal, mate".

7. outZider macrumors member

In the past, I've found that you have to put up a bit of a fight to get Apple to cover a warranty on a product purchased outside of that country or sphere of influence.

Same goes for most manufacturers, so for instance, if you buy just a replacement drive for your Time Capsule in the US, and it dies in the next three years, the UK branch of that HD manufacturer will generally not help you.

8. ghileman thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. That's certainly not what the Apple Genius guy claimed here in the U.S. He said AppleCare is worldwide and I could have it replaced here or there.

I'm going to go ahead and get it replaced here as it sounds like I wouldn't get a UK version anyway in London but instead be stuck waiting for the U.S. version to arrive.

9. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Actually: I had a problem with the authorised Apple Reseller, but AppleCare acted very well and promptly. No fuss, the second I got in contact with AC. I paid for shipping the TC into Apple (in Switzerland), and I got a new one back, albeit a US one.

KB

10. ghileman thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. So this confirms that a) if you're overseas you'll get a U.S. version back (if that's what you're replacing) and b) you'll have to pay for the shipping yourself?! That's lame.

I went ahead and picked up my replacement today here in the U.S.