Timecapsule Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JamesOK, Jul 9, 2012.

1. JamesOK macrumors member

Hello,

I'm new to the Mac world and was interested in purchasing a Time Capsule 2 or 3TB for the purposes of storage for my backup of my new Macbook Pro, FLAC files, and connecting an external hard drive for additional storage. I really have no usage with my Wifi unless I hear that it is worth it. To note, I have Verizon Fios. From what I understand a Time Capsule makes your WiFi more proficient while increasing speed and range.

1) What have other's experiences been with Time Capsule and Verizon Fios?
    2) I wanted to connect another extenal hard drive to the Time Capsule, what have your experiences been with this?
    3) There is quite a price markup with the 3TB TC. Considering I plan on using an external hard drive, I would imagine it wouldn't be worth it and to stick with the 2TB TC?

Your responses are greatly appreciated!

2. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

The TimeCapsule is probably the best WiFi router you can get as far as range and reliability.

The external drive works similar to the internal and it will show up as a device. You can also access it from the Internet if you are away from home. If you're adding an external drive I'd go with the 1tb or 2tb models.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I use my TC for my wifi network, and for backups of my three Macs...I don't mix backup files with other data on it though...A Pegasus R4 takes care of my video and photo work in real-time. The 3TB TC has never once let me down, and is an excellent choice both as a router and a backup solution.

4. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Stick with the 2TB but keep in mind TM backups to the external drive are not officially supported.