Timecapsule questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by appledu, Mar 8, 2008.

1. appledu macrumors member

appledu

Hello all,

I already have a fairly complex network setup with Linksys gear and I would like to continue using it as my (wifi) router/modem.

My understanding is that a Time Capsule is not a modem but just an access point, and I would like to use the hard drive for Time Machine and the USB port for an all-in-one printer.

So, what I'd like to know is:

- Is it possible to disable the Time Capsule as an access point and just use it as a hard drive for TM and with a printer, connected to my current setup?

- Can you use it with any printer?

- Will I be able to use the scanner via wifi too, even on PCs?

- How can I be sure that my neighbour or someone nearby won't be able to access the Time Capsule's HD?

- Is it not cheaper to buy an external drive and USB -> Ethernet adapter? Will that work with TM?

Thanks,

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

TC is a router w/a hard drive inside.

Add password protection, just like a regular router

It may be cheaper, but Airport Extreme does not officially support it. If you don't mind hacking your backup device though, it might be a better option.

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Just be aware about the A-I-O printer that your scanning functions and things of that nature probably won't work, because you are trying to use them over a network connection and most manufacturers software requires a direct connection to the device.

4. appledu thread starter macrumors member

appledu

Thanks, but regarding the scanner, would scanning not work even if the scanner's software is installed locally on all machines?

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

It'd work if the scanner's software that you install locally on all machines has the capability of using the network when scanning, but I've never seen a home printer that came with software that can do that. For scanning, the software always assumes that the scanner is hooked up locally.