TimeCapsule vs. "Custom Time Capsule"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by frittino, Apr 1, 2009.

1. frittino macrumors member

frittino

Hi All,
    I read a lot of criticism about Time Capsule that loose connectivity and other minor stuffs. I'm considering to buy the 1TB model but doing some searches I found that for 200$ you can buy a 1TB Western Digital myBook (ethernet) plus a good Netgear Wireless Router ... so I wonder why it's worthy to spend 499$ for the Time Capsule.

There is something I'm not considering? What's the difference from TimeCapsule vs. a custom TimeCapsule?

thanks

2. frimple macrumors 6502

It's also a router?

3. Macjames macrumors 6502a

4. baditkoff macrumors member

I am also considering getting a TC when I buy my MP.

I have a few questions that I would also benefit from knowing the ansewers.

Are you considering getting applecare with the TC?

If there any interface problems who would you call for support? Apple? Router manufacture? HD manufacturer? This scenario may get complicated with the three separate manufacturers.

5. frittino thread starter macrumors member

frittino

My only concern is the Ethernet Hard Disk connected to the Netgear Router.
    I never needed to open a support request for my Netgear wireless. They are fantastic and stable products. I never loose the connection.
    What I'd like to discover is if it's easy to share the Hard Disk connected to the router so you can easily access it from MacOsX.

6. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

The only benefit to the "Custom time capsule" is the price.

Not only will the "Custom Time Capsule" probably not work (at least not right out of the box), but you lose all the benefits of having an airport extreme. The setup and configuration are much easier than any other router I've set up. Not to mention the Time Capsule has a built in usb port. You can plug a hub into that and share out any amount of Printers and external harddrives.

7. baditkoff macrumors member

Without getting into the NAS specific details, I would "assume" by the fact the HD is a NAS that the HD should be accessible by other network nodes. I believe the NAS manufacturer limits current number of streams.

8. frittino thread starter macrumors member

frittino

Well so it could be a good option to buy the TC cheapest model (512GB) and attach an additional 1TB hard drive if needed? Can I easily access any hard disk connected to TC via USB?

However I'm not aware about Airport Extreme benefits?
    When I set up my Netgear Router the built-in wizard has done everything, I needed to insert only my userid/password for my Internet provider.
    There are some specific feature in Airport Extreme?
    Sorry for my ignorance but I'm still a PC user :eek:

9. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

The HP 485 Home Server. This one does all the TC things, plus it has 4 sata bays and also backs up Windows PCs automatically and stream videos all over your network. Assuming you have an AirPortExtreme or similar wireless device already existing. The 485 is the box that Apple should have built rather than putting 2 radios in the TC Rev B. 1TB does not go as far these days, especially with 2 or 3 Macs in the house and the odd 1 or 2 PCs.
    :)

10. frittino thread starter macrumors member

frittino

11. baditkoff macrumors member

I stumbled across this acticle at macworld.

http://www.macworld.com/article/136632/2008/11/networkattachedstorage.html[/url]

Article answers some of the questions of third party compared to TC. :D