TimeCapsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CocoSS, Dec 2, 2011.

1. CocoSS macrumors member

Hello,

I want to know more about TimeCapsule. I am willing to buy the 2TB model.

Does it acts like an external hdd or you can only back-up your data ?

If i am abroad for example, can i acces my data from my time capsule. Can i download for example a song stored there ?

Thanks !

2. mfram macrumors 65816

It acts like a server sharing a drive on your network. You can use the storage for putting files on it and you can use it for backups assuming you have enough space.

Assuming the TC is acting as your home router then you can access the files remotely if you enable that feature. If there's another router before the TC then the configuration gets more complicated. It may or may not be possible to access your files remotely.

3. iphone joe macrumors regular

iphone joe

Can I connect both a Mac & a PC to it? If so how can this be done?

4. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

There's a four-port ethernet switch on the back of the time capsule, you just plug in your network cables there to your computers, or connect via wifi. To get automatic backups on a PC you'd need to install additional software (I assume Apple supplies a PC version of Time Machine), but depending on how much stuff you have on your computers, 2TB may or may not be enough to keep a sufficient back-record.

My TC is just 1TB, so I use it exclusively to back up my Mac. The PC will have to make do on its own. :)