TimeCapsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mmoran27, Mar 11, 2009.

1. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

Is there an option for Time Capsule to back itself up to another disk? Is this automatic?

It just seems dumb to store everything on Time Capsule if it has the same failure rate as a hard drive with no redundancy even though apple says its server grade.

Server grade I would define as redundant.

2. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

The Time Capsule is the backup of another hard drive, your primary on your Mac. You want to back up the backup?

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

There's an archive option in AirPort Utility in the Disks tab, but it's manual. The thing with Time Capsule is it's not meant as a server grade/redundant/etc. backup. If your information is crucial enough, you should still be maintaining another backup, and preferrably one off site to ensure the safety of the data.

4. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

What backs up the HD that backs up the Time Capsule's Back up? :cool:

5. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

Another Time Capsule?

6. mmoran27 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is clearly meant as server storage as well as backup

That's why it shows up in finder and why they advertise it as such.

The whole purpose of a share is to allow for centralized storage. If you wanted to just backup machines, firewire or usb storage is way far superior.

They even advertise it with server grade hard drives.

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Well when I think of server grade backup, I think of multiple hard drives set up in some sort of RAID configuration where if one drive fails, it can be rebuilt and the backups will still run regardless. I also think of offsite storage for backups on a regular basis. And considering Time Capsule isn't designed to do any of this, I'm still not considering it a server grade backup system. Yes they may use server grade hard drives (at least in the 500GB version), but it's not intended as a be all end all solution for businesses and other crucial information. It's just meant as a safety net if your drive should fail, but by no means would I trust my crucial files to it alone.

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

It sounds like you don't want to use Time Capsule for Time Machine backups, but rather as a centralized file repository. And you, understandably, want that backed up. If that's the case, I don't think TC is the best product for you.

You might want to get an Airport Extreme (or any other 802.11xyz router, but i do like the AE) and then hook up an external disk. You can either hook up via USB, if the router supports it, or buy a NAS. And as an external disk, you can either use two disks in a RAID 1 (redundant) configuration or you can spring for a pricier solution like Drobo. Hope that helps!