Timed Access on Airport Extreme Extended Network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by powerbook911, Mar 20, 2012.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I have always used the timed access on the Airport Extreme to limit access to devices my family owns. I input the MAC address of all the devices.

This all worked fine. Whenever I got a new device, I would have to add the MAC address.

However, I just added a second Airport Extreme to "extend," the network.

Now, even though "timed access," is still turned on, it lets devices not listed get on the network with password.

Is there no way to have timed access truly work with an extended network?

2. LFMNX macrumors regular

Use bridge mode rather than extend mode

Rather than "extend" pick bridge mode when you set up the extreme. Then it will be transparent and follow the ruls of the main device. I know "extend" sounds like what you want to do but bridge mode is the trick.

3. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Thanks!! Appreciate you were so kind to help. I'm not sure if this latest funky Airport software has a bridge option, but I will try this immediately. Thank you.

4. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

LFMNX

Here is what I found out, when you do the "extend wireless network," in the newest software if automatically puts under "network" menu "OFF (BRIDGE MODE)."

Therefore, I guess the way they extend it now, is a bridge mode.

That makes me still uncertain how the new iPad I had not added to the access control list was able to get on the network?

The dual extremes have other glitches too. I can remove a device from the access control list, and it might remove it from both routers list, or sometimes it only removes it from one router's list. It's very odd.

The strangest thing though was how it allowed that new iPad on the network that had never been on the list obviously. I guess I'll never know and just not worry much about having the access control anymore.

5. LFMNX macrumors regular

OK So you are in bridge mode.

I have never used timed access control but perhaps if something is not in the list then it has no limitations. If you add it to the list then you can specific the time limits. The other interesting part is you can still select checkbox timed access control on both devices. Do you have just the primary unit having that selection or both?

I assume the iPad still needed a password to get on your network.

What about adding the iPad Mac address then setting up the limits.

6. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

LFMNX

Yeah, it's funny. Now, if I remove a device from the list on both routers, it DOES block it.

I guess there was something funny going on when I opened up the new iPad and it somehow jumped on the network, albeit with my password. I just imagine this something funny could happen again.

I have the default setting to block any devices not on the list 24 hours a day, and all the devices on the list have 24 hour access. I don't have any purpose for limiting "times." Both extremes are allowing me to access the device list independently. I know, you think it would just take control of the secondary one with the primary information.

I have honestly used this setting for years and just always had to put in the MAC address when I got a new device as it would never connect naturally.

I really think there won't be a magical solution. It might allow these slip ups again or not.

We shall see, but I sure appreciate you took the time to look into it with me.

I may end up going back to one airport anyway, or have the second one be wired.

Thanks again.

7. LFMNX macrumors regular

Cool, so what are you hoping to achieve is you leave computers ar 24 hr access? Opportunity to limit access to some computers? The only time I have used Mac address authentication in the past was in conjunction with open networks. Since speeds are faster now I use WPA2 authentication. For kids I set up limits on the computer for their USER sign in. Network I don't limit but do use the guest network for friends that come over.