Timeframe after ATT unlocks iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wchangch, Dec 21, 2014.

1. wchangch macrumors member

I'm currently traveling overseas and just received ATT's approval email to unlock my iPhone 6. I don't have a local sim nor did I bring my laptop (no iTunes). Is there a timeframe which I need to perform the unlock procedure after the approval? I expect to return to the States in 4 weeks and hope it will not be too late. I presume once ATT sends request to Apple to unlock it should stay unlock at Apple database forever, right? Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    Once its unlocked its unlocked forever.
    You dont need to activate it with another carriers sim within any certain time frame.
    You can pop in another carriers sim a year later and it will work fine.

3. l.i. bruce fan macrumors member

You do, I believe, need to restore (or at least sync, so try syncing first) with iTunes on a PC or Mac for the unlock to take. Very painless procedure if I recall correctly.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I would do the above just to confirm it was actally unlocked.

5. Ashtar macrumors regular

I got approval from AT&T a couple of weeks ago (only took two days after filing it online). I called to make sure there was no timeframe and they confirmed that there wasn't.

Interesting side note: I originally had an iPhone 6 on my line as an upgrade. When I decided to give it to my wife and buy a 6 Plus, Best Buy said their policy was that it had to be activated before I left the store. So, I had the new phone (and sim) activated on my wife's line and then when I got home, I put the new activated some in her iPhone 6 and put my original sim into the new Plus.

Well, when I got the email confirmation approval from AT&T for the unlock, it came with instructions to achieve the unlock. One of the steps was that the original sim purchased with the phone had to be in the phone for the unlock to work. My wife was out of town, so I couldn't get that sim, and that didn't sound right to me anyway, so I just did a restore in iTunes, and the phone unlocked anyway! So, AT&T doesn't know what they are talking about in that regard.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    You don't need the original sim and you don't even need to restore or do anything on itunes.
    You can just stick any gsm sim, connect to wifi and it will work and activate with any sim card.
    All those instructions they provide are old and outdated.