Timeframe for repairs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SpeedFleX, Dec 20, 2013.

1. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

My iMac had a bunch of brown spots on the left and right side of the screen. I took it to apple, they said it would take around 5 days to repair since they have to order the screen. Ok no Problem I am on vacation so nothing important to work on.

Anyways they just called and said it will take another 5 weeks to repair, is this normal? I am very depended on a computer for work, does apple not have extras Macs sitting around like when I get my car fixed they lend me a car.

This is a late 2012 Model.

I just ordered parts for a PC so I at least have a working computer to use for work related stuff, which is really a waste of 500 bucks but what ever.

This may be my last Apple made machine running OSX. Sad

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sounds like your iMac needs a replacement display panel.
    Repair parts sometimes are out of stock, unfortunately...

Changing the estimated repair time from a few days to a few weeks might affect your business (you did say you depend on it for work?)

Sometimes a call to your Apple repair shop can help, or a call Apple's customer relations number can also do wonders to "accelerate" a slow repair.
    Pointing out the affects on your business when you don't have your computer (the replacement PC shouldn't matter about this) may give you some leverage.
    You could also explain that extending the repair as promised from a few days to several weeks is "unacceptable" to you. That may even help you get an offer of a new replacement Mac.. It _does_ happen, and does not hurt anything to ask. (No guarantees, as I, of course, don't know how Apple will respond in your specific case, but you also won't know until you try)
    Better, I think, than just feeling sad, and maybe regretting your Apple purchase.

3. SpeedFleX thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I will try this.

I was just always someone who tries to be honest and try not to cause extra stress and pull some kind of hurry up card.

They told me the panel had to be ordered which is why it would take a couple of days to a week, I was thinking jeez that's still a great timeframe. But now?

Anyways thanks for the tips I will try this.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Up to a week is reasonable for a part. 5 weeks is not reasonable. I'd say calling Apple Customer Relations would be your best bet right now. Let us know what happens.

And since I believe the 2012s and 2013s use the same display 5 weeks to get the part is way out of reason.