Timelapse Export Plugin for Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kenndac, May 21, 2011.

1. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

Hey guys,

A few weeks ago I tried to try my hand at timelapse photography. After importing all my images into Aperture then cropping and adjusting them, I had to export them all again, import into an old version of QuickTime Player and export as videos. What a pain!

I'm a Mac OS X programmer by trade, so I thought I'd whip together a little app to pull the selected images out of Aperture using AppleScript and assembling them into a video. My friend then suggested an Aperture Export Plugin would be more sensible, so, that's what I did!

It's very simple - you select a bunch of images, choose Export -> Time Lapse... from Aperture's File menu, choose a frame rate and off you go. It's free and open-source - I hope someone finds it useful! :)

You can find it here: http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/products/timelapse/

Ah, and since this is a photography forum, here's one of the timelapses I made: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ikenndac/5718565234/

2. mrbash macrumors 6502

You can do this in Photoshop and After Effects via a macro. It's pretty straight-forward.

3. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

Yeah, fair enough but;

A, Not everyone can afford the creative suit.

and

B, this guy is trying to help everyone else out by taking some time out to write a plugin and post it for free and tweekable use.

I think his post requires more of a response than 'It's pretty straight forward".

4. mrbash macrumors 6502

I apologize if my response was flippant. Aperture does not support macros.
    Most people creating time-lapse videos use Adobe Creative Suite. A big reason being the automation of the workflow between applications.

I guess what I am saying, is that Aperture is ill suited for time-lapse videos. You have to do more than simply re-size each picture, but also do tonal averaging etc. Aperture simply does not support this kind of workflow. Ps and AE do.

5. Kenndac thread starter macrumors 6502

Kenndac

Most professionals may use Creative Suite, but this isn't aimed at them, or you. It's aimed at people like me who just want to fool around and experiment!

6. pigbat macrumors regular

I wanted to give this a try but the installation fails without much explanation. Does this work with Aperture 2.x or only 3.x?

7. BMP84 macrumors regular

BMP84

I too am having a error, it wont install for me either. And I am running Aperture 3, fully updated.

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Another option for those who can't get this to work is Quicktime. It's one of those little known features of Quicktime. There's an option to import a bunch of photos, and it will make it into a time lapse for you. You just select the photos, framerate, and a few other settings and it creates the time lapse for you.

I don't think it's in Quicktime X, but it works great in Quicktime 7 on Snow Leopard.

9. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

I love the idea of this plugin, it could use a little extra work though ! Previewing is slow as heck, I can't seem to change the encoding preset (not so serious) and export takes much longer than if I batch export to JPEG and then compile manually in QuickTime 7...

It installed without a hitch for me.

10. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

11. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Thx for doing this, will have to try it out - nice timelapses video on your flickr site.
    Will come in handy for my timelapse stuff I do in the future directly from Aperture and simplify workflow.

fwiw, there is Mac program called "Time Lapse Assembler" @ http://www.dayofthenewdan.com/projects/time-lapse-assembler-1

I used it on the same 370+ frames that made my Aug-5-2011 NASA APOD for 2 video clips, re-post from my astrophotography forum thread below
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=12800862#post12800862

12. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I'm having a 3:30am brain fade, upon download the zip file and extract, I don't see a complied plug-in file, rather a folder titled "iKenndac-Timelapse-for-Aperture-8dcf879" with a single file "README.markdown" that won't open upon double click and two folders "Timelapse For Aperture" and "Timelapse For Aperture.xcodeproj" with stuff in them, but no plug-in file.

Something simple for sure, can someone here advise me?

13. xStep macrumors 68000

Weird. I just downloaded it and inspected the "Timelapse For Aperture 1.0.pkg" that was unzipped. It looks like a proper executable. I don't have Aperture so don't know the procedure for installing that.

The .xcodeproj file is an Xcode file. You shouldn't have that given the same link.

14. TheReef, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Sounds like you've downloaded the source, use the link on the right hand side for the package installer.

My camera captures images at 20fps in burst mode, so this looks just like what I'm after.

Unfortunately it crashes during "Hardcore Previewing Action" :)p) when the window is first displayed :(
    (Aperture 2.0, Mac OS X 10.6.8)

Brilliant idea though.

15. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Pacakge installed, seems to work fine Aperture 3 on my 2009 iMac i7, thx for tip on installing the package not the source code (a 3:30am duh on my part)