Timeline for learning objective-c?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Monty88, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Monty88 macrumors newbie

Monty88

For the past month, I've spent 4-5 hours a day working through a C programming book and feel comfortable saying I understand the basics of C. I am now moving on to Kochan's Objective-C programming book, and plan to read other Objective-C material simultaneously. Ultimately, I would like to become a proficient iOS developer.

How much time do you think this would take me?

Could I potentially become proficient in 6 months or less?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

An investment of 500 hours (4 hours/day 5 days/week for 25 weeks) seems like a reasonable goal, but really it depends on you and what you mean by "proficient".

B

3. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Thing is, in my opinion, there will allways be things u won't remember completely, that u will have to look up. So don't push urself. the most I learned is from actually trying. and reading while doing something. Just put urself on something quite big, and then, push urself to get there.
    Well, that's how i do it, but every person does it for himself ;)
    And well, basics of C are ok, but objective C takes it to another different level, so don't stare too much on the C.
    good luck :)

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's always true, but the skill you need to develop is knowing what to look for and where to look it up.

B

5. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Until you actually ship an app it's just a hobby. The 80/20 rule applies. Knowing how to actually finish an app and ship it is a skill they don't teach in books.

6. firewood macrumors 604

Do you understand just the basics of C, or are you proficient enough to write good sized non-trivial programs in C? Are you proficient in any other programming languages?

I've heard of programmers, experienced and proficient in C or C++, plus some OOP and event-driven frameworks knowledge, learn enough Objective C to start coding in around 2 weeks, and finish an iPhone app in on the order of 2 or 3 months.

Some people without as much previous programming experience, it takes a lot longer.

7. MDiak47 macrumors newbie

HAHA...Your correct. That gave me more headaches then coding the app.

8. forum user macrumors regular

worth a sticky note

9. Abunga macrumors newbie

Abunga

A bit of a slog!

Hello, I am just starting with OBJ C. I have been looking at it for the past 8 months, but it is only in the last 7 weeks I have knuckled down. Since then, I have learnt a lot and have made my own basic web browser. Doesn't sound a lot to many but with that, your experience with other languages sounds far more advanced than mine. I used to work with Basic and COBOL in the past and never really took to C++ when I was at Uni. This has meant a steep learning curve.

I would say that with your advancement (if so), I don't really see 6 months being a problem. However, I am acutely aware that I will need to refer to documentation like any developer for my first app and beyond.

Good luck and be confident, it's amazing how quick you learn given relatively short periods of time.

Abunga.