Timemachine and windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacAodh, Mar 28, 2012.

1. MacAodh macrumors regular

Hi all,
    After many years of service my mac died in it's sleep a couple of days ago. After a candle lit ceremony and some fond words I ordered a replacement. Problem is i'm completely broke and could only afford a windows replacement right now.

My question is, can i load the time machine backup onto my new windows computer? Looking at it before I remember that the directory structure is the same with the newer versions of the files stored. Therefore, it would take weeks to go through it manually...

Any ideas?

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

No, you can't as far as I am aware.

the PC can't read HFS disks, and even if it could, time machine backups are sparse bundles which I don't believe there is any tool on windows to deal with.

You MIGHT be able to find a linux utility to deal with it, but i wouldn't put money on it.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'd suggest finding someone with a Mac, and have them restore to an external drive which you can then copy stuff over from to your Windows box.

B

4. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

I know I've got my home computer to read HFS with a separate program before but that unfortunately is one step out of about ten...

Yea that was my thought too but it's a long way round. Was hoping that someone was just going tell me to download something and done :). Oh if life were only that simple...

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Another option: you could MAYBE hackintosh your box, copy the data back, and then either go back to windows or run it as a hackintosh until you get real hardware back?