timemachine backup to hdd connected to router

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DeftwillP, May 9, 2013.

1. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

First time mac owner. I'm trying to figure out time machine. I'd like to attach a hdd to my asus router and run it from there but I didn't see that as an option in the time machine config. Is there another way to do it or is this not supported?

While I'm at it: how big of a hdd to you recommend for a 1tb fusion mac? Go bigger and partition or is best to keep one dedicated drive for backup?

Thanks.
    will

2. Bear macrumors G3

The size of the backup drive really depends on how full your system disk will get and how much of the data on the system changes in a given day. Some people would be fine with a 1 TB Time Mahcine drive, but that is not a good idea.

I would recommend just getting a 2 or 3 TB USB drive and giving it all to Time Machine. Last time I checked the price difference was about $10 going from 2 to 3 TB.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

In short it might work for a limited time but in the long term it's not worth the trouble. TM is not designed as a networkable backup unless you use Apple's Time Capsule Router. If you want the best performance and reliability please follow Apple's instructions on how to connect the EHD, in other words connect it directly to the iMac!

4. aggri1 macrumors 6502

I thought that you could choose any mounted (maybe HFS-only) network volume as the time machine disk. I had a MacBook Pro which was backing up (over the network) to the hard disk which was permanently connected to my iMac. Whenever the MacBook Pro came home and the iMac was on at the same time, the MacBook Pro would see that the disk was available on the (wireless) network, mount it (by itself), and do a backup. It seemed to figure out that the drive was available all on its own.

To set it up, I just mounted the (already) shared disk on the MacBook Pro and selected it as the Time Machine disk.

I don't know whether this would work for a drive which is not HFS+ format and/or not being shared (made available to the network) by a non-MacOS device (e.g. your router).

Not sure that any of that's any use to you... :)

Cheers,
    Aurel.