Timemachine EHD Recommendation

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BigMac3, Feb 1, 2012.

1. BigMac3 macrumors newbie

I'm getting my first Mac since the IIs :). Since the IIs I've been on Windows machines and I can't take them anymore. I spend more time troubleshooting the machine than I do using it. I'm very excited to have a 27" 3.4Ghz i7 iMac on the way (and a bit worried about the screen blotch issue).

My question is: can anyone recommend an EHD for use as the Timemachine backup? My machine is coming with a 1TB internal HDD. I'm looking for quality and a good value.

Thanks!

2. yashi macrumors member

As far as EHDs go, I've always been kind of put off by the user reviews of those drives. Many of them seem to use cheap hard drives with high failure rates.

Personally, I had a 2 TB Samsung drive from my old computer that I had paid a little extra for over the cheaper Seagates and popped it in an actively cooled Asus external enclosure I had lying around. I just keep it hidden away and plugged in. It's worked great for my Time Machine backups.

Oh, and congrats on your purchase! I just got my 27" iMac a couple weeks ago and every minute using it has been a joy.