TimeMachine HD - Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

ShockTroop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
I need to upgrade my TimeMachine HD and I am torn between which interface to use. I am currently looking at the following Lacie drives:

https://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10628
or
https://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10554

I have done a lot of reading and I am confused. I know FireWire 800 is faster than my USB 2.0, but I have seen people making comments that you won't see a huge speed increase with these types of drives using Thunderbolt. Both drives have USB 3.0, which will surly be part of my next iMac. Does the Thunderbolt option, which carries a larger price tag worth it?

Thanks!

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Both drives have USB 3.0, which will surely be part of my next iMac. Does the Thunderbolt option, which carries a larger price tag worth it?
Personallly, I find the stability of Thunderbolt to be superior to USB3, and I have to date 5 thunderbolt-enabled enclosures, all of which work superbly and daisy-chained.

The other thing I don't like about USB3 is the use of the micro-USB3 connectors on some hard drives (most notably WD, Seagate and Lacie) which aren't very robust.

ShockTroop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Personallly, I find the stability of Thunderbolt to be superior to USB3, and I have to date 5 thunderbolt-enabled enclosures, all of which work superbly and daisy-chained.

The other thing I don't like about USB3 is the use of the micro-USB3 connectors on some hard drives (most notably WD, Seagate and Lacie) which aren't very robust.
Thanks!

Is Lacie still a good drive? I've used them in the past. Do you have any recommendations for an entry level Thunderbolt drive?

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Is Lacie still a good drive? I've used them in the past. Do you have any recommendations for an entry level Thunderbolt drive?
Lacie is owned by Seagate, so you get a Seagate drive inside the Lacie case.

The Lacie is the only one I know of that is a single hard drive with dual thunderbolt ports (allowing for daisy chaining).

It should do the job of time machine backup admirably.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Do you have any recommendations for an entry level Thunderbolt drive?
Take a look at WD MyBook Thunderbolt. It's admittedly a dual drive box, but it is quiet (no fan -> convection cooled), reliable(!) and offers a good price/performance ratio. Comes in sizes from 4 TB up to 12 TB (counting both drives) and a Thunderbolt cable included in the box.

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.