timemachine, new mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spekulanten, Apr 22, 2010.

1. spekulanten macrumors member

spekulanten

i have to send my mac in service, but before i have to save my data. i will receive a external hdd and thought to use time machine with it and my mac. after that i will send my mac in service. if they dont fix it or dont return it and i will buy a new mac, also with 10.6, will time machine make the new mac the same as old one, with all my folders and files? or do i have not to use time machine and backup file by file?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

TM will do the things you want, that's what it is there for. If you use MRoogle, you will find plenty of threads about this topic.

3. spekulanten thread starter macrumors member

spekulanten

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No need to be sorry, I just pointed you into the direction of more already existing threads, so you can get further clarification.

Btw, Migration Assistant will help you import your account and applications from the TM backup once you get a new Mac or have to re-install the OS on your old one.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"will time machine make the new mac the same as old one, with all my folders and files? or do i have not to use time machine and backup file by file?"

Just my opinion, but you would do much better by downloading CarbonCopyCloner and doing a _clone_ of your internal drive to the backup drive.

It will be bootable, too. You can't boot from a TM backup.